6. Someone out there is willing to help

Chapter 6. Someone out there is willing to help.

Fri, 11th Dec 2015

5:00pm

Den's House Café'

Uncle Ben called me yesterday, asking for a short meet-up to catch up today. I agreed. Though he didn't mentioned it, I kinda knew anyway - he probably heard from Mum about Peter running away from home and would likely to probe deeper about it.

Mum would probably be worried about Peter now. I felt guilty of not telling her that he is safe with me, but I have a strong reason behind this – my alcoholic father would probably tracked him down had he received the news from my mother. Our innocent mother didn't know how to lie - and so he would use a lot of tactics, from guilt-tripping to threatening her, making her terrified enough so she would blurt the truth out. I felt sad that she is being used and abused by our father, but part of me felt angry at her too, for handing him the power to abuse her.

If only she was brave enough to stand for herself and us, this wouldn't be happening. I release a heavy sigh into the wind.

My patient and kind mother. I wondered how is she now?

***

"Diana! My girl, look at you! It's been such a long time. You're a beautiful grown woman now!" Uncle Ben greeted me with warm hugs in a small café'.

How time flies - we haven't seen each other for 2 years long. There are more white hair on his head and beard now. To my surprise, he gained extra weight too.

I replied his hugs and gave a small peck on his cheek. It's nice to see him after all this years. "How are you?" I asked while releasing him from my hugs.

"Well, pretty much the same - except that my waist size is getting bigger by day. And you?" He grinned, showing lines of yellow teeth at me.

I chuckled listening to his answer. He was still the same Uncle Ben that I know. The memories of my childhood with Peter and him playing kites in summer breeze came flashing in nano-seconds.

"Yeah, me too."

Uncle Ben is my father's half brother – they share the same mother, but different father. Unlike my father, he was hardly a hot tempered person – he was much relaxed and easy going, a fun man to be around with. Sadly, he has never been remarried after the death of aunt Sara 5 years ago. They do not have any child together but they were the most romantic and loving couple I've ever seen in life.

He took the last bite of chocolate cake and drank all of the orange juice until the last drop. This is another criteria of Uncle Ben that I like – He would never let any food go to waste.

"So D, I've heard from your mum that Pete runs away from home? Did you know anything about it?" He asked me casually while trying to wipe his mouth with his handkerchief.

"Yeah, I sort of heard that too – but I won't blame Pete for that. Nobody could stand the abusive environment in that house." I paused. "Well technically nobody, except Mum" I retorted back.

He sensed the sarcastic tone in my voice, but did not attempt to fight me back.

"D, I understand that you feel angry now to your parents but your mum is pretty worried about Peter's safety and whereabouts. She understands that the house is a hostile environment for Peter too and though she misses him, she does not wish him to return - all she asked from me was to conformed whether he is safe or not."

"Did by any chances, he came to find you here?" He asked.

"Well, what does our father said about it?" I didn't reply, but instead shoot him with another question.