8: Live long enough to see the fruit of your labor.

Chapter 8: Live long enough to see the fruit of your labor.

25th Jan 2016

11:45 pm

New apartment

It's been two months since I lost my job. I've sent my resume out, went into some interviews but still haven't got any call yet. But that's okay, cause I didn't like the job position that is being offered to me last time. It's a global company and the manager wants me to consider joining their Account Payable team (AP) for Latin America market, even when my application form had state clearly that I want to get transferred into their smallest market, Singapore, operating simultaneously the full scope of accounting ranging from Accounts Payables (AP), Accounting to Report (ATR) and Accounts Receivable (AR). She declined my request, and I in returned rejected her offer too. There is no way on earth I would do AP alone - Oh well, perhaps another interview.

In the meantime, I work as a waiter in a cafe. Peter took a part-time job too after school. He works as a mechanic in a workshop a couples of block from our apartment. We don't make much income, but we still have roofs on top of our heads. For that, I am grateful.

I normally work until 10pm, then continue to write until 12pm before heading to bed. Our one- bedroom apartment now is much smaller than before, but we still have all that we need in one place. There's a washing machine, refrigerator, water heater and room heater provided by the landlord. We're more than happy to rent here. Peter sleeps in the living room while I sleep in a bedroom smaller than the store room in my café.

I'm glad I made the decision to take Peter to live with me. He looked so bright and more focus on his study. Perhaps now he understands the value of passion and good education, seeing me going through difficult phase now. I promise myself to work harder so Peter can have a brighter future.

As of my writing progress, I'm working on a novel about a war general during the Roman era and how fate brings him from being a noble into a slave within a fortnight. The Romans lost the war, and he is left stranded in a foreign land away from home. To make matters complicated his head is wanted by the Persian army, but a Nigerian slave boy saves him from death by the command of a mystery man. I put a lot of research in this book and stayed up late to write - Hopefully one day I can finish this book and reap the benefits of my hard work.

No, I shall not die yet. I shall live long enough to see the fruits of my labor.