39: i know a bunch of people who are meant to die

"go maddie..." Jack sighed, irritated as he lay nearly lifeless in the hospital bed.

"No! I shouldn't have let you smoke, I won't leave you to die Jack. What if when I'm gone-" I started before he cut me off.

"Cupcake, this is my fault. I'm the one who smoked so will you please stop blaming this on yourself. You need to sleep please" I hugged knowing if I argued that technically I had been sleeping in the hospital chairs but he would turn it around on me of course.

"Fine."

♥♥♥

I had received a call just a couple minutes before I was getting ready for bed that Jack was dying. Not the dying that he had been doing this entire time but actually dying. As in taking his last breaths could happen any time now.

Making sure I still drove safely, I weaved through card quickly and beeped obnoxiously at people.

Finally I had arrived and I ran into the hospital; letting the small of old people and sadness filled my nostrils.

"Who are you here for ma'am?" A receptionist asked, smiling as if I didn't have concern and hurry written all over my face.

I can't lose the most important person in my life, it's not going to happen.

"Jack Winters." Her eyes widened and she looked down guiltily.

"I heard he's gone, the chemo wasn't working. He's being moved to another section of the hospital" that's what broke me, I cried like a big baby in front of this complete stranger but right now that's not what mattered. Obviously the chemo didn't work, if hadn't been working two weeks before.

She told me where he was and I reluctantly traveled across the hospital there.

The Winters; including May and Asher stood in front of the door that was meant for saving the dead somehow. Everyone had there heads down and eyes closed as if they were praying but I couldn't, I looked through the window of his room as his naked body was spread across the bed. They repeatedly struck him with a machine to wake him and his now failing heart up.

"It spread." Mrs. Winters said to me quietly as everyone continued to mourn "to his heart. It spread like a wildfire and his heart was the forest"

"He. Is. Not. Dead!" I shrieked and ran into the room he was in although it was prohibited to doctors only.

I stood by him and dropped to my knees, holding his hand with one hand  and wiping my tears with the other.

I watched the heart monitor begin to slow down as it began to flatten completely.

"Jack, you can't leave me please" the doctor's yelled at me to leave but I stayed put as they began to give up.

"What are you doing save him!" I yelled as they packed up him stuff.

"We tried everything. Sometimes things aren't meant to be..." One of the blonde doctors shrugged as if my boyfriend had not just died in front of my eyes.

"Don't you fucking dare say that he was meant to die because believe me. I know a bunch of people who are meant to die and he was not one of them" I said bitterly just as Jack had done so long ago, when he was healthy.

"Yeah what she said." I heard a voice  behind me laugh and the heart monitor began to beep normally again. I looked over and saw Jack smiling at me even though he'd been through hell and back.

"How!?" The nurse smiled surprisingly and Jack just laughed a bit.

"I heard Maddie and God sent me back. I think it was just meant to be." I smiled and almost threw myself on top of him as I hugged him and my cries became heavier " Maddie?"

I hummed to the sound of his voice as I placed my ear next to his heart.

"I know I'm not prepared, but will you marry me?"

♥♥♥

Next chapter is going to be VERY long.