Chapter 10-11

Chapter 10

Lord Sutekh sat a large wooden dining table bedecked with dishes of various sorts. He was attended to by a small staff headed by his valet de chambre. The dining room, like all the others, was a large room, spacious, but dark owing to the fact that the mansion was cut into a mountain. There was consequently no natural daylight save in rooms that were at the front of the abode, of which the dining room was not, and so it was lit by candle.

"What news from Lemuria?" Sutekh said perceiving Astraea cross the threshold. After her errand in the forest, Sutekh had sent her to Lemuria, which wasn't far from his secret house, in order to learn what was happening. It is of course true that Lord Sutekh had been killing the nobleman with a very clear object in mind.

"Ixion wishes to accelerate the wedding plans. Aurora is to be sent on ahead, in preparation for the ceremony."

"What is to be her escort?"

"I don't know, only that it's small."

"After saving her life, I believe he would entrust her safety to the same persons," the man soliloquised. "All is going according to plan, but I'm worried by these men. If the leader is as formidable as you say, then he likely searched the lake in order to discover more about you. Now they journey to Lemuria where my actions have caused much disturbance. They may catch our scent again." Astraea took a piece of bread and some cheese while Sutekh continued, "Chance could ruin everything."

"You worry too much my lord, they won't discover us."

"I don't intend to risk it." Sutekh concentrated upon Astraea, "We have Uroboros, who will prove essential to recovering the third. The first, as I have mentioned, will soon be unearthed in Lemuria. We are close, but a portion of our scheme has been revealed, and I am certain that if these warriors from the forest arrive in Lemuria, they will learn more."

Astraea stopped eating her breakfast and looked across at her master, she knew that he had already formulated a plan, the fact that he was slow in building up to its reveal evidenced the fact that she was not going to like it.

"Infiltrate their company before they arrive at Lemuria. Then stay close to them. Perhaps that will be the end of it, they will not pursue us, let us hope so, but if they do not, you shall be well placed when the time comes."

Astraea, who hated secrets and lying, who had spent her entire life keeping secrets, preferred a more direct approach. If these warriors were really a threat, then why didn't Sutekh ride out with her and meet them upon the road. They would fight and kill them, and the matter would be resolved.

"Why do we not meet them on the open highway. Surely they are no match for you and I." The woman's brilliant and dark eyes shone, but they soon lost their flash of excitement upon perceiving Sutekh's placid demeanour.

"No, my way is better."

"You think they might beat us in battle?"

"Absolutely not, considering your unique capabilities."

"Then what is it?"

Sutekh now sat erect, his head trained on Astraea, who sat scolding with folded arms. Then he rose from his seat, walked over to her, and pulled back her hood. Long black hair fell down. The contours of Astraea's figure were still hidden beneath a pelisse, but the mesmeric countenance she possessed was on full display. Her enamouring eyes scowled at Sutekh like an angry girl.

"Will you still not do as I command?"

Astraea's expression softened. "Of course, always." She turned to the man behind her, brushed the mask he wore, then slid her fingers to the clasps. Sutekh clutched her hand, and lowered his head.