Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Heading east, the princess realised that she had never before been so far from home. Aurora's shackles broke, her figurative wings became unclipped, and the woman was radiant; but, she was not accustomed to the wilds, nor to travelling so many leagues a day. Eros was like the wind.

"I cannot go on." Aurora's cheeks were flushed, her hair thick with sweat, "I fear my horse will die soon."

Eros knew they had been delayed while Astraea and Sabriel recovered in Minthe, and that the unknown had furthered his plan in the meanwhile. Time was against him. "We need to travel further before sunset."

"I simply cannot...go..." Aurora fell to the floor.

Skoll alighted from his horse, and, drawing his decanter from his pocket, poured water into Aurora's parched mouth.

"Don't attend to her so readily." The company had halted – more time lost. "Aurora is a skilled actress. She wanted to come, so she's come."

"Eros! How can you speak about the princess in such a manner," Sabriel cast a look at him as she passed. "What's the matter with you?"

"I wouldn't mind a short break either," Astraea said. She looked fatigued in her saddle, it was evident that she hadn't completely recovered from her horrific injuries. Eros then, had no choice but to let the party rest.

He and Typhon searched for food amongst the long grass and sparsely located trees. The latter was glad for the opportunity because he'd noticed a change in he who had been driven on by an impetus that was chimerical before now; now it was all slowly beginning to take shape in his mind.

"What's bothering you?"

"It's this demon," Eros paused, and stared at the green wilderness around them. "There's something familiar about him. It's his style, his manner." He stood with his hands on his hips.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know," Eros shook his head, and walked on. "It's probably nothing."

There was a long silence; something about the unknown bothered Eros.

"And Aurora?"

"What about her?"

"She frustrates you, no?"

"Ah," Eros moved uncomfortably, "Don't misunderstand me. I love her as a monarch, but she's a burden. Of all the times for her to abdicate, why does it have to be now with this madman and mage on the loose?"

"I disagree, the princess is talented, and quick to learn."

Eros looked over to the bivouac where Aurora sat, still practising her magic.

"She's working hard, give her time."

"You're a sage, I fear what would have become of me without your counsel."

The two friends laughed, but Typhon wasn't finished; he hadn't as yet arrived at the matter he wished to discuss most with Eros. If after that topic was discussed, his leader still thought him wise, Typhon would count the conversation a successful one. "There is one other thing that I wished to ask you about."

Eros slowed his walk, and turned his eyes upon the mage, before looking beyond to where the ladies made camp. The wind wafted through his hair, his visage stern and concentrated.

"What is it?"

Typhon didn't need to say anything. His placid face forced the confession.

"I can protect my body with a sword, but not my heart from a woman." Eros had been suffering from the worst malady of all. "I'm enchanted by her looks, intoxicated by her presence, she's in my mind." The knight's eyes were now fixed on the group a short distance away. "You want me to say it, I will. I love her." Typhon remained silent. "There." Eros's agitated mind appeared to enjoy a modicum of calm.

"It has to be kept a secret. If she should not feel the same," Eros didn't finish, instead he looked at Astraea askance. "A broken hearted warrior is no warrior at all."

The reason for Typhon's broaching of the subject were his suspicions of Astraea's character. Sabriel shared his reservations, but convincing a man besotted by her, a man of Eros's convictions, would not be easy, yet convince him of it he must. "And yet we don't know her."

The shaft struck Eros, he read the subtext clearly, and with a venomous expression, he said, "You're suspicious of her?"

"She is a bewitching lady. Indeed I have yet to lay eyes on a more beautiful woman, but this enchantress has strayed into our company, and has there remained. The female mage in the forest was extremely powerful, Astraea fits that description; I know she conjured that water spell in the village--"

"The water spell that saved my life!" Eros raised his voice to such a level that the heads in the distance turned to focus on the pair.

Typhon drew closer to him, "I have never encountered anything like that before. It wasn't natural." Typhon fixed his gaze on Eros in order to impress upon him the seriousness of his convictions. "And remember the man who died in the tavern. He was close to Astraea when he fell. I, rather, the rest of us, don't trust her."

***

Aurora, her complexion rejuvenated, sat with Skoll's long outer garment about her shoulders, it swooped down to the ground. She smiled at Eros and Typhon as they returned with a pair of Kameko's in their hands. "There appeared some commotion afar, is everything alright?"

"It was nothing," Typhon lauded, "Eros and I were debating who the better hunter was, Aeneas or Rinaldo, I of course claimed that--"

"Not again, otherwise the quarrel will start over."

Typhon and Eros continued in jocular spirits, and the subterfuge worked well because all suspicion dissipated. The 85th went back to idle chat while the stew was prepared. Astraea alone scrutinised the demeanour, and actions of the pair. Surreptitiously she endeavoured to learn whatever clues she might as to the truth of what really caused Eros to raise his voice in anger. Catching her glance, he smiled. The surrounding chatter continued incongruously.

The stew was cooked, and the coterie began to eat. It was during the meal that Aurora asked, "Where are we going?"

Eros replied simply, "Cannered-Noz."

"Cannered-Noz," Aurora was confused because she recollected the name from her studies, but couldn't fully remember it. "Cannered-Noz...isn't it a wretched place?" She looked to those around her, "Yes, I remember from my politics class - Cannered-Noz is a kingdom without government, laws, or even order. They massacred the royal family, and have ever since been in a state of perpetual anarchy. You take your future queen there?"

Skoll was equally surprised, "Placing the princess in such peril does appear counter intuitive."

"There exists conventions, and as long as we abide by them, we shall be quite safe. It isn't the first time that we've ventured there on his majesty's service."

Aurora's expression softened; she lowered her head in gratitude.

"As to why we go there, it's because we stand in need of information about the stones or who our nemesis is. Someone will know something there."

The 85th consumed the Kameko stew, drank from their decanters, and departed to Cannered-Noz.

When the wind ran through Eros's hair, he looked to the distance where he espied the city of thieves: stone and timber buildings, filthy streets that weren't even cobbled. Every house had been ransacked and the new important places were not banks, scientific academies, or castles, but taverns and brothels. A broken and shattered wall with an open gate welcomed them. Eros hoped for much from a realm that possessed so little. He, however, was certain that he would learn what he desired here, and with that knowledge would combat his enemy; but for the first time since he was young, emotion was beginning to master him.