Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The 85th had been travelling for three days, the sun had risen high on the fourth when the group decided to stop for lunch. They took out food and water from their saddle bags, ate, and talked. After several minutes Typhon had taken Aurora a short distance away from the rest, and continued his training of her. She hadn't received formal magical training before, and, although enjoying it and the sense of adventure it imbued in her, she was frustrated at how much hard work it was.

"You need to concentrate your highness," Typhon said, "You're distracted."

"I can't do it."

"That isn't true, you saved Eros, and you saved me. You can do it." Aurora brought her hand up to her forehead, and mopped her brow. "You need to learn to control your magic."

Aurora inhaled deeply, and tried again, but it was no use. She couldn't do it, and now she was conscious of everybody watching.

"Let's take a break."

Aurora walked with her head low, her shoulders hunched when she passed Astraea, who said, "Focus on something you feel strongly about. It can be good or bad, just so long as you care about it. Then try again."

Aurora frowned because Astraea was the last person that she had expected to get advice from, but the young princess knew Astraea to be a strong mage. Returning to the rock, she shut her eyes, and, concentrating so hard that her tiny frame shook, she cast the spell. Opening her eyes she saw that the barrier was in effect. Aurora clasped her hands together, "I did it!"

The princess ran over to Typhon and hugged him.

Eros turned from Aurora's happy face to see Astraea caressing her horse's mane whilst gazing upon the horizon. She was surprised by Eros's voice behind her.

"Thankyou."

"What for?" She replied with her back to him, half turning her head.

"You saved me in the village. I'm glad you're here, so are the others."

Astraea listened to his footsteps, which grew fainter and fainter, her eyes remained on the horizon.