Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Aurora bore a regal air amongst regicides. The refuse strewn streets were lined by houses without glass in the windows, or even doors on the threshold; dead bodies lay in the gutters - some fresher than others; the muddy cobbled streets still bore the barricades from the glorious revolution. Amidst this scenery cut throats eyeballed the princess under an overcast sky.

"There was a frightful story," she said while she looked at a man who passed so close to her that Eros had half drawn his dagger, "About a queen who reigned here."

Skoll said, "Don't."

Aurora glanced at Eros, "Do you know the story?"

"No."

"Vega lost her kingdom to the bandits. She was very beautiful, and they did terrible things to her prior to her brutal execution." Aurora paused, "The bandits say, whenever a mysterious death occurs, which is common in this kingdom, 'that is the work of Queen Vega, who still believes her revenge is not yet complete.'"

Skoll touched her hand, "There will be no ghost of Princess Aurora keeping that of Vega company."

She smiled at him while Eros continued to walk on; Sabriel and Typhon were behind, Astraea silently trailed at the back.

The Black Hydra was a great mound of dirt held together by wooden beams, and which had a large chimney protruding out of the far end perennially spewing smoke into the bleak sky. The dilapidated tavern was the castle of Cannered-Noz. It was here the most important men of the realm held court. Inside Eros looked around where thieves played dice, and mercenaries cards; streetwalkers entertained bandits in private rooms, and half naked women danced on stage. Aurora grew pensive.

"It will be alright," Eros said brushing her hand slightly.

"I'll remain at the bar." Astraea, however, was the antithesis of the young princess. "Come, a drink will help calm your nerves," she led Aurora by the hand. Eros spoke quietly to the others when they left, "Let's learn who this unknown is, or at least what the stones are - quickly."

The 85th associated with the people of the Black Hydra for a long time, but they didn't learn of the stones, or the man they sought.

Astraea meanwhile smiled at Aurora. She ordered her a drink, and, at the bar, the two ladies drew the men towards them like sirens luring sailors to the rocks. Aurora finished her drink, and, after the first came a second, and after the second a third until at last she relaxed; her body became loose, and while she swayed her head from side to side, she saw a billiards table. In sheer excitement she leapt to her feet, and ran over. Astraea followed the princess with her eyes.

"La! You see, I win again." Some henchman threw down his cue upon the table, and walked off in disgust. "That is victory number nine!" She polished off another basilisk's venom. The girl was drunk, but she remained a formidable billiards player, none of the banditti could beat her.

Astraea admired her but hers was not the only eye whose admiration Aurora had earned because another watched from a table across the room. In a dark corner the man neglected his card game, and was instead staring intently at the seraphim.

"Might I challenge the fair lady to a game?" Acheron said wearing a good looking smile. He was tall, possessed cheekbones that could cut you, and had a diffident air that weakened Aurora's heart.

"Certainly," Aurora's voice betrayed her, "Well rack them, they won't do it themselves."

When Acheron began to, he dropped one ball on the floor. "I am sorry," he said as he picked it up blushing.