Chapter 32 - 33

Chapter 32

The 85th had taken a detour. They were headed to Nunnehi because that was where they hoped to thwart Sutekh - their enemy. However, Eros had made them journey three days south, not east, with the aim being to reach Vidura's Waterfall. He'd been reticent as to why. Typhon and Sabriel thought the detour was attributed to the revelation that Astraea was a sorceress, but both knew that really Eros hadn't been himself since the battle at Daoine Maithe's. They therefore concluded that the trip was somehow tied up with those events.

"This is magnificent," Aurora's eyes poured over the gorgeous landscape while she stood in her saddle. "In the palace library there is a most heavenly portrait by Constantine Genesis, but it is a mere speck upon what I now see before me."

Skoll said, "I've never laid eyes upon anything so beautiful."

The princess and the others rode across the valley of Vidura, an ancient goddess. The fields were full of grass, flowers and trees. Life blossomed in all corners and, not far away, the magnificent waterfall towered - pouring water into a tremendous basin. It was a biblical garden.

"My tutor said that the waterfall is really a gateway between worlds. One ascends to heaven, and descends to hell. Demons and angels are said to be inside, at this very moment, sorting out souls together."

Sabriel spoke from behind, "Your highness is a fine student." The princess turned and looked upon Sabriel's benevolent face before returning to gaze upon the gargantuan waterfall - immortalized in great portraits by the ancient masters Shiva, Petrosian and Harshal.

Eros said, "Odin believes they're here." It was the first time he'd said anything about their purpose in being there.

Typhon said, "Everytime we pass this way--"

"You mention them." Sabriel finished.

"Is that why we've come?"

Eros moved to speak, but halted himself. With effort he tried again, "Thanatos and I vowed that we would seek out the swords of Fate and Destiny, and with them protect Lucretia." Eros moved his hand to the bare scabbard.

"I am at a total loss." Aurora was bemused.

"Once, when the gods were young, the lord of the underworld challenged the lord of the heavens for dominion over Lucretia. The challenge was accepted. Each side selected a champion who was armed him with a weapon worthy of them. They both forged a sword - one in heaven; one in hell.

The two champions were brothers named Fate and Destiny. The former fought for the underworld, the latter the heavens. Angels and demons watched as Destiny slayed his brother; but, unable to reconcile the guilt of killing his brother, he took his body together with the swords, and sealed himself away in the bosom of Eternity."

"And you believe these ethereal swords are here." Aurora laughed. "It's nonsense of course?"

"Until recently you believed the sorceri extinct your highness."

"I'd forgotten about it for a moment."

Eros suddenly became distracted. "It's him." He pointed to a shadow in the sky that soared close to the 85th's position before setting a direct course for the waterfall.

In one bound Eros was upon his horse, and in the next moment he was in hot pursuit of Sutekh. "There can be no doubt now," he soliloquized. Pounding hooves sounded behind him; the others were not far away.

Astraea customarily drew up the rear, where she was presently thinking that the actions of her master had been ill thought out, and precipitous of late. She wondered about the teta a tete rendezvous, and why he now exposed himself to danger in broad daylight. Unable to understand, and with an ill feeling in her gut, she followed the others.