Chapter 46

Chapter 46

While Odin fought with Thanatos, King Ixion III had fled. He ran in terror, stopping only at the ornate building where the Order of Mages convened. He went in search of his closest ally, Lord Erebos: the highest ranking of all the magi, and he who had personally tutored Typhon. Ixion stepped into his magnificent office, and said, "We are in peril."

"What do you mean?" Erebos replied while he was writing something on a parchment.

"A man has infiltrated the castle; he knows everything."

"Everything?"

"Yes."

Erebos looked up from his desk, scanned the king with a studious eye, and, realising that Ixion at least was convinced the matter was serious, rose from his chair with the intention of going to meet the unknown. The king, upon perceiving the mage's coolness, tried to impress upon him the severity of the threat, "He's too strong for you - he's killed many of us already, and now he has the sorceress's stones."

Nevertheless, the mage went out of the building with the king close behind, who still beseeched him to stop and rethink. They were both stepping out into the street when they saw it - meteors fell from the sky, a black hole devoured all. Erebos saw Thanatos on the palace's balcony fighting Odin. At that moment his blade erupted into flame, and Odin fell.

Ixion whispered in his ear, "He can't be stopped; we must flee."

Erebos, understanding at last the calibre of the vita obscura's opponent, headed to the stables with Ixion. They took the king's horses, and set off at a gallop.

The king and Erebos maintained a frightful pace; their horses were almost spent when they arrived in a small town on the borders of the forest. They had their horses well fed while they themselves took up the finest suite in the hotel. Erebos said they were travelling merchants, and were very much fatigued. The town was quiet and they passed the night without any difficulty, that is to say, they were not disturbed.

The next morning they rose hastily, very much relieved to see their horses refreshed. Again they set off at a gallop, rushing into the woods, and the chateau of Zeus Ordain.

Erebos looked askance at his friend, who looked pale in the morning sun. "On this day," Erebos said, "Our victory was sealed. It shall be again."

"How can you be so sure, didn't you see the same man that I did?"

"From his chateau in the woods, a count saw the darkness spread through the land. He heard the cries from those used in the sorceress's experiments, and soon, he heard the cries of his own family. In his grief he turned to his closest friends. They formed a union - the vita obscura. In the face of such evil, they didn't falter. They fought and they won - as we shall against this second antichrist."

The king remained doubtful. "I hope the others share your confidence Erebos," he said.

At length they rode into the chateau's courtyard. The country estate stood out amongst the trees with its walls, and towers. The gate had been opened, and inside magnificent carriages bearing the sigils of the most notable families were arranged. Nobles from all corners had come in their finest equipage to attend the anniversary of Arethusa's fall. When Ixion arrived, they all turned to perceive his feverish countenance.

Could he truly release the sorceress?

The party had changed to a war council. In the main hall of the castle, the secret society debated what was to be done. First there had been the assassinations of their members, then the collection of the ancient enemy's powers, and now the detestable thought that she might actually be freed. What would become of them if she did. Their marble faces consequently wore panicked expressions. Hundreds of them discussed and debated how best to combat their enemy, but no satisfactory plan prevailed. They'd discussed and debated for hours when at last, the sound of footsteps disturbed them. The dark messenger appeared in the hall like an abaddon.