Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Eros and Astraea appeared in the throne room. The lady in the nightgown with whom we have been so frequently acquainted, disappeared. In an instant Eros had absorbed his surroundings. He saw the staircase revealed, the shattered window, and Odin.

A trail of blood glistened; Odin's breath was raspy, beads of sweat stood upon his brow. "Master!" Eros cried running to his side.

The old man's eyes shone; Eros was not dead.

"E....ros..."

"What...has happened....to...him...?"

Melancholy replaced the taint of death.

"He's become lost, but I will stop him."

Once more Odin's eyes shone.

Astraea stepped through the broken glass, and descried Eros look to the heavens. She saw the tears and the pain. The stars had ceased to fall; the frightful black mist had stopped swirling. People who'd lamented in the streets were quiet.

"Hold on master, help is coming."

Odin's breath was shallow, it became faint.

"Astraea fetch--"

"No." He grabbed Eros' tunic. "You must not delay....Stop...your fallen brother."

Eros couldn't leave him.

"I'm an old soldier...This day....is long overdue."

Then the guards came.

The captain said, "Bring a mage this instant!"

A guard disappeared from out of sight.

The captain knelt beside Eros, "We can take care of this, sir."

Astraea pulled at his shirt. Eros at last tore himself away. He looked upon Odin one last time, then he returned through the shattered glass. He descended down the staircase into the past where footsteps echoed in the dark.

Astraea led Eros driven by some mirthful impulse. Eros wondered how far they had descended when at last they reached the base of the pit. They followed a passage into a cave, which was marvellous. It had veins of crystal. The tiny ventricles lit up the tomb.

It was then they saw the ancient castle that rested within. Like a ship in a bottle. The haggard edifice had seen better days, yet despite being buried for thousands of years, it retained its majesty, and splendour.

Eros said, "Have you ever seen something like that?"

Astraea was silent.

"All this time," Eros continued, "This ancient wonder has been here."

They advanced along a broken, stony path, the castle towering in the foreground. Then across a narrow bridge that extended over a great chasm. Looking down, Eros wavered. Astraea sensed it. She spun around, and, placing her slender hand upon his shoulder, she steadied him.

"Come on," she said.

Dusty streets and abandoned homes greeted the sorceress and chevalier when they passed through the portcullis. Eros saw a tattered doll. The castle had once been so full of life, a thriving metropolis, now it was abandoned.

But one person didn't ever leave this place. She still sat upon her throne, and Thanatos would be close to restoring her. Eros's body tensed when he saw the palace. The exalted structure scratched the roof of the cavern. That must be where she was. Astraea had navigated them through the streets expertly. Eros wondered how she knew where to go.