Chapter 39 - 40

Chapter 39

Astraea sat upon a golden throne where pale faces watched her closely.

"Your highness, our empire stands ready to meet the empire of Ithaca." An elderly minister bowed almost to the ground.

"Bring the prisoner forward."

A fallen general, whose wrists were chained together and uniform covered in blood, collapsed to the ground before her.

"Tell me of your empress, tell me of Sorceress Nala." The soldier hesitated. Arethusa leaned forward, "I will learn what I desire; make this easy on yourself."

The man looked away. Through wicked sorcery, Arethusa made him speak.

"Sorceress Nala has a gift of prophecy." The prisoner said in between gasps for air, his body racked with pain. "She can see into events, into people, and predict as clearly as you can look around you now the fortunes and misfortunes of fate." The general paused, "It is because of her perspicacity that we have flourished in war."

Arethusa said, "If she is a prodigy why does she parley with me?"

The general looked away from the apparition when the doors were flung open, and a messenger hurried in.

"What is it?" Arethusa scolded.

The messenger whispered something into her ear. "Enter."

A woman wearing magnificent jewels crossed the threshold to the throne room. Her body slowly undulated beneath her robes. She possessed such gravitas that all who watched her, were eager to learn who she was, and what she had come to say.

Arethusa glared at her.

The unknown bowed, and said, "I come seeking a diplomatic resolution to the terrible conflict that has already torn this world apart." Her sonorous voice enchanted all the ears it reached, save one. "If the empires of Ithaca and Arcadia collide, an apocalyptic battle will ensue. I have seen this - in my visions."

"Coward," Arethusa snarled, "Your general," she pointed at him on his knees and chained. Sorceress Nala could only gasp at his mortal condition. "He tells me of your gift of foresight. I know why you negotiate; it's not because of your pretended nobility. You whose empire has been built upon the dead bodies of countless innocents." Arethusa stood shaking with rage.

"No, I know you have seen your death," Nala covered her gasp with a slender hand. "You have foreseen that I will destroy you, and so you come seeking terms." The hall was silent.

"A duel--"

"No," Nala flung herself to the floor before Arethusa, knowing that she couldn't prevail because her adversary was too strong. "Mercy," she cried, "Mercy."

When Nala seized Arethusa's hand, endeavouring to kiss the emerald ring that sat upon her finger, Arethusa was overcome by such fury that she uttered a curse. Nala gasped for air, her veins overflowed with poison. Arethusa cast three bolts of ice that pierced her chest. Nala fell lifeless to the ground. Arethusa had ended the war.

***

Astraea awoke, her skin glistened from perspiration. She sat up in her cabin, and, after a brief pause, she alighted, heading out on deck. Thanatos stood on the small ship with his hands behind his back, looking out at the vast ocean.

"Was it the demons again?" He said.

"It was a thing worse than any demon."

Thanatos turned to look at Astraea, who was dreadfully pale.

"It will soon be over."

"You know don't you?" Astraea sensed Thanatos still had his secrets.

"Tell me what it's all about." She rested a hand upon his chest, appealingly, she looked into his eyes, but Thanatos merely turned back to the sea.