Chapter 16

Chapter 16

It was three days into their journey when the 85th happened across a small hamlet; they'd been riding all day, and needed shelter for the night. The hamlet consisted of only a handful of houses, a couple of shops, and the inn. A picture of a red chimera was on the board outside. It was here the 85th reserved rooms.

Typhon and Sabriel were together in one of the apartments, while Eros and Skoll played chess in the main room. Aurora watched with a knitted brow. Whereas Astraea had left, going for one of her customary evening strolls. Presently she was down a secluded alleyway, and, assured that she was not being observed, she withdrew a crystal from her pocket.

Astraea said, "My lord," to a cloaked figure that was visible in the crystal's surface. "Ixion has told them of Kafka's jewel. We are on our way now to recover it." Astraea looked around thinking that she'd heard something. "I don't understand why Ixion sends them to the temple?"

"Because they suspect what we are about," Sutekh said. "They're sending Eros to do their job for them, but it will be of no use; I'll get them. The nobles I've already assassinated will be joined by the rest of that secret society."

Astraea once more looked about the darkness around her.

"In any event, we can't allow them to recover the stone, it's of too much importance. I'll get the jewel before they do."

Astraea returned to the inn where Eros alone remained up. She went directly to bed, and fell fast asleep.

***

She awoke in a body that was not her own. Astraea could hear the strands of this person's thoughts, feel her heart beat, but she was unable to influence any action. She could only see the world through this person's eyes.

The girl stood at the forest's edge, looking to her younger sister she said, "Come on Priya, let's go."

"Arethusa, no, we're not supposed to go into the woods."

Both girls had white skin, black hair and the reddest lips.

"Don't worry, we'll be fine. I just want to see the baby dragons."

The two girls looked back at the mining site that they had left behind, before they rushed into the dark wood. Their little legs scurried across the forest floor, through the wild ferns until at last they came to the nest.

Priya was pale when she saw the giant lizard's hyde through the treeline. She froze. The older sister crept closer, and peered through the shrubbery. She beheld the creature, which lay upon its front, baby dragons all around.

Arethusa's countenance shone when she turned to her younger sister. She squeezed her hand. Here they remained for some time, crouched behind a fern like little pixies observing mother and child in their tender moments. When at last the light began to fade, and twilight descended in the wood, the two girls took to leaving. It was then the ground around them shook: a roar that rattled the girl's eardrums marked the father's return. The beast had a body thick with muscles, its wings blocked out what remained of the sun's rays; the dragon didn't discriminate between men and children. Not when they were this close to its nest.

Instinctively the girls turned on their heels, and ran. Their hearts were full of fear, minds worry, and naked legs fatigue, but terror drove them on. The dragon gave chase, though he was not as dexterous in navigating the trees as they. He roared in frustration, the girl's trembled.

Arethusa turned to see if the massive beast still pursued them; she couldn't see him, but then she saw the dragon's shadow pass, in the clearing ahead no trees blocked him. He landed spitting flames into the air.

The beast gazed at them as the elder shepherded the younger behind her, as if in preparation for a fight. The dragon considered its opponent for a few moments before the sound of rolling thunder sounded in the depths of the lizard's throat. Opening its jaws, an inferno spewed out that raced to engulf the children.

The forest burned behind Arethusa who still stood with Priya trembling beside her. The magical barrier she'd conjured, had withstood the blast.

The dragon was furious. It drew closer, preparing another assault, that same blood curdling thunder sounded in its throat. Arethusa once more held her hand out, preparing more spells. The beast stopped suddenly, and, before the burning forest, it narrowed its eyes on the girl's forearm. When she had raised her arm, her dress sleeve had fallen, which revealed a peculiar mark, a tattoo of sorts that circled her wrist and extended up her forearm.

The dragon retreated into the depths of the forest.

Arethusa and Priya didn't hesitate; they renewed their flight, racing towards the edge of the forest, across the plain, and back to the mining camp.

The workers were chatting, murmuring about dragons when the two girls came back, crying and shaking, their garments dirty and worn.

"Father, I'm sorry, I wanted to see a dragon. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Don't be mad." Arethusa wept clutching her father's arm.

Priya cried too, her mother bent down, and gave her a hug.

Their father said, "Are you alright?"

"Yes, we're ok father."

"That's all that matters," he said smiling fondly. "I love you girls, I don't know what I would do if I lost either of you." Then he hugged them both tightly.

The two girl's tense bodies relaxed in their parent's arms, "Yes father," they said, their little beatific faces beaming with joy.

***

Astraea sat up in her bed at the inn. It was still dark. Sat upright, she brought her palm down across her face. She sat silently thinking for a moment because it was not for the first time that she'd had these dreams.