Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Eros stood in the tower of Hyperion, not long after his summons had extricated he and Astraea from the Arcadian castle, and the past where he had spent more time than he cared for. He smiled upon Aurora with the sun beating down on his forehead. Her ladies in waiting busily set to the task of making her look even more resplendent than she already did. Never, he thought, had she looked so joyous, than on this day.

Typhon spoke under his breath so as not to be heard, "You should have seen her."

"A behemoth you say." Eros's ceremonial clothes accented his lean body.

Aurora giggled delightfully, her cheeks blushed.

"She will be a great queen."

They both smiled.

"It's caused quite a stir, you know?"

Eros turned to Typhon, "The slain vita obscura were kings, and queens." Eros paused before continuing. "I very much expect it has."

"It's a blessing that the documents were found."

"Found?" Eros asked puzzled.

"Light has been shone on their dark history."

"Where did the documents come from?"

"No-one knows." Typhon looked back at the queen. "But the secret society is not so secret anymore."

Eros's brow began to furrow, Typhon saw it from the corner of his eye.

"Come Eros, it's over. The scandal has allayed all suspicion. A line can be drawn under this whole escapade."

Eros smiled, his complexion softened. Then Aurora approached, looking more divine than the god that had saved her in the valleys.

"Eros, Typhon." She bowed. The two warriors returned the formality. Turning to Eros she said, "Will you accompany me, one final time."

"Of course your highness."

Taking Aurora in his arm, Eros led her out into the central square before the palace.

The people cried out in joy when they saw her. Aurora blushed; nervously she touched the dazzling crown that rested upon her golden hair. She feared it might fall off. Eros pressed her arm in reassurance.

The square before the palace had been much destroyed by the evil hand of Thanatos, but the Hyperions had rebuilt. A newly erected ornate fountain possessed sculptures of angels who played in cascading waters.

Eros led Aurora along the red carpet to a stage that had been temporarily erected. Directly before it stood the many dignitaries that had attended her coronation, remaining for this epoch.

When they drew near to the platform, Eros saw at the front, the king and queen of Nunnehi, and the admiral at their side. He saw next to them, Master Odin, whose arm was yet in a sling. There, was also Sabriel. Typhon had taken up a position at her side, kissing her upon the cheek as he did.

Eros then saw, at the interim altar, the Beowulf who nervously fidgeted. He turned to see the angelic Aurora. He was not a king, nor a prince for that matter. He didn't feel worthy of the hand that was given to him. But she loved him, and he her. That was all that mattered.

Eros gave the queen's hand to Skoll, bowing humbly before retreating. Stood next to the others, he held the hand of Astraea tight. He kissed the alluring mademoiselle on the lips. She yet wore gloves concealing her mark. Forever would it be so, she felt the pressure on her hand as Eros squeezed it tight.

The ceremony was completed to raucous applause. Already celebrations spilled out into the streets. Skoll and Aurora kissed before a kingdom. They advanced to their chariot, when she said to Eros, "I will miss our journeys."

Eros smiled, wiping a tear from his eye. Then he watched them depart. The royal escort rolled through the streets, the masses of public vying for a better look at the newly wed queen. Then he saw something. He wiped his brow and looked again, but the dark man in black robes was no longer there.

Astraea followed his eyes, but didn't see anything, she asked, "What is it?"

"Nothing," he said. "It's only my mind playing tricks on me."

The wedding bells sounded; long into the night did the celebrations run. The reign of Queen Aurora had begun.

***

The demons had suffered a terrible defeat, now in the underworld inn fighting broke out. Demon smited demon. A hellacious free for all in vain lusts for power.

An unknown had cut a path through the war that raged. Thrusting open the gates to the room where Bahamut had fallen, she advanced before the abaddon who claimed stewardship.

He cried out at the one who entered unannounced, "Who are you to enter here?"

The abaddon moved to strike, but a supernatural force choked it. Its dark face kissed the stone tiles in an eternal death.

The other demons receded, as the lady strode up to the throne, and seated herself upon it.

End of Part IV: Arethusa

The End