Chapter Fourteen

"Mother, wake up," muttered Draco, once again laying his hand on her forehead to find it blazing hot.

A book was open in front of him. A book about home remedies and basic diseases. He sighed, flicking over each page with his eyes, his heart dropped when he couldn't find anything in the book. Waste of money, indeed.

Draco took out his wand and managed to bring the fever down with some spells. He just had to wait for her to wake up. If she would just open her eyes or whisper or even squeeze his hand a little, he would be reassured.

"Make sure she gets up in the next hour. I'm off to get your Aunt and Uncle," Lucius said, opening the door without even knocking.

He came in and laid a hand on Narcissa's forehead. Draco held back thinking it wasn't a good idea to fight with his father. Who would look after his mother if something happened to him?

Finally Lucius went, slamming the door on his way. Draco waited, distinctly hearing his father give orders to Coal and Amadeus and then finally leaving from the front door.

"Mother?" Draco whispered and shook her slightly.

It didn't look like she was getting up anytime soon. Draco got up and went out of his room. He left the door open a little so he could hear if his mother woke up or called for him. Draco then took off down the stairs and noticed Coal and Amadeus playing cards in the living room.

Draco went through the kitchen and downstairs to the basement. He peeked in through the door and saw that Hermione sat with her back against the wall, clutching her stomach.

"Hermione," whispered Draco, through the bars.

She looked up and relief spread across her face. She stood up and came to the door looking behind him.

"You shouldn't be here... Your mother..."

"What did my mother say to you?" asked Draco, watching her hands clutch the bars, "What did she say?"

"She told me to stay away from you," said Hermione, she looked up and leaned in closer to Draco, "Draco, please let me go..."

"Hermione, I can't and you know that. He'll kill me and my mother..."

Hermione glared at him and walked away from the door. She reached the wall again and sat down. Draco sighed and opened the door, letting himself in. He walked over to Hermione and sat down next to her.

"I'll let you go but not now. Please trust me." whispered Draco.

"I don't trust you, Malfoy. What game are you playing? My life is not a game," Hermione turned to him furiously, "They'll kill me and-"

"Shhh!" Draco took her hand, "No one will harm you. If they try, I'll protect you."

"No you won't. I just want to get out of here!" Hermione stood up and glanced at the door, "Just open the door and let me leave. You always say that you love me and then your mum tells me to stay away from you! How can I, when you always come to see me here? If you let me leave, I'll stay away from you and-"

"Do you love me? Do you feel anything for me?" asked Draco, getting up to stand in front of her.

Hermione looked into his eyes, calculating her feelings for him. Finally she shook her head, turning away from him and muttering, "I don't feel anything for you, Malfoy."

Draco felt his heart become heavy and drop to the ground, probably breaking in half because of her statement. She didn't turn around 

and Draco was glad. He just had to stay strong and not let his feelings show. If she had no feelings for him, they couldn't be together. That was the only thing he wanted.