Chapter Sixteen

After a long, filled with mindless chatter, dinner, Draco was still sitting in the living room.

He wasn't allowed to leave. Even James was nodding off to sleep, beside him. Draco's eyes drifted off to the window outside.

It was pitch black except for a few, only a handful, of twinkling stars and a half moon. He hated the dark. Everyone knew that the dark bought lots of danger. This was another reason why he wanted to get Hermione out of that dreadful room - actually it was more of a cage.

"So, Draco," his uncle Robert spoke up, "Have you met any captivating young lady yet? Got an eye on someone?"

Draco's eyes flickered to Uncle Robert. If only he knew. There was a forced grin on his face, like he didn't really care. Like he was only trying to be polite. He winked at him as if girls were something forbidden.

"No, sir, I haven't," said Draco.

'Except for the hostage downstairs who I'm totally in love with except she doesn't love me back and my father will probably try to harm her,' thought Draco, of course he wouldn't think of saying that.

"Well, my son, James is exactly like you. He liked to explore the field a bit too. What ever happened to that girl, what was her name? Oh, yes, Pansy. Pansy Parkinson. I saw her father at a quidditch match on a sunny afternoon. Weren't you dating her?" he asked Draco.

"Yes sir. It... um... didn't work out," Draco said.

"Yes, yes. Lucius, we must invite them over to dinner soon while we're still here,"

"Yes, I'll see to that," Lucius sighed, turning to Narcissa, "It's getting late. You should sleep."

"Yes, come on Liz. Draco go to bed," Narcissa said.

"I'll be up soon," muttere Lucius, pouring another glass of wine in for himself and Robert.

Draco nudged James, gesturing for him to get up and follow him. They walked up the small staircase and went into Draco's room. James collapsed onto the bed and Draco paced the room.

"She'll probably need to go to the bathroom," he whispered to himself.

"Do you have a key?" asked James. Draco nodded and James said, "Maybe you should leave her be. Your father's downstairs and-"

"I don't care," stated Draco, "I'm bringing her up here."

"You're crazy. You'll get caught," James said, watching Draco take the key from a drawled next to his table, "I'm coming too."

"No, you-"

"Shut it. I'm coming,"

They stared each other down and Draco sneered at him. He didn't want anyone near Hermione but if he left James here, he would do something stupid like tell someone that Draco had gone to Hermione.

"Alright," James leaped off the bed as Draco spoke, "Don't make any noise though."

"Yes, boss," James said opening the door, he stuck his head out of the door to check if the hallway's empty. He looked back to Draco, "you coming or not?"

"I'm coming!" Draco shoved past him, ignoring James' protests, and entered the hallway.

His parents door was closed and he was sure Narcissa would be in bed by now. Draco gestured for James to follow him and they creeped down the stairs, hoping his father wouldn't catch them.

"It'd make more sense to wait till your father's asleep," whispered James.

"Shut up or we'll get caught," growled Draco.