Chapter Twenty Three

Draco puked as though all of his insides were coming out. His stomach contracted painfully as he stopped.

"Get up, Draco. Our work is complete," said Lucius, his voice was like acid.

Draco struggled to his feet and James watched him, looking apologetic.

"You go," muttered Draco, "I'll stay here... with... James a while... longer."

Lucius smiled darkly at James.

"You can defend yourself, right, James?" asked Lucius, "Draco is, after all, my son. He won't let you go so easily."

Lucius clapped Draco's back and handed him a tissue from his pocket. Draco didn't take it and Lucius' smile fell slightly but he waved at Coal, gesturing to go.

"Come on, Coal. Draco, be home before dark," muttered Lucius.

Draco shuddered as his father patted him on the back once again. James looked to Draco with unbelievable eyes, cradling his bleeding nose. Seconds later Lucius and Coal had disapparated. Draco thought maybe he shouldn't jump on James. He wasn't like his father and didn't want to be. The hesitation disappeared.

"I TOLD YOU TO TAKE CARE OF HER!" screamed Draco.

His throat hurt from vomiting and screaming but he didn't care. Pain felt real to him. Something he could hold onto. His life seemed to crumble into dust when James said that Hermione died. Without thinking, Draco lurched forwards and punched James' face again.

"WHY DID I TRUST YOU!" shouted Draco, his throat felt like it was on fire. His knuckles hurt as he punched James.

Suddenly Draco was thrown to the side and James groaned holding his nose. Blood was dripping from his face.

"Come on, man!" James yelled, "stop acting. We don't have time."

"Acting?" Draco said, unbelievably. He went up to James and shoved him, then getting in his face he said "The one girl I've ever loved is dead and you say... I'm acting?"

"Dude, please tell me you're joking!" shouted James and at Draco's confused face he said, "she isn't dead!"

Draco just stared at him. Hermione wasn't dead? He wanted to believe that. Really he did but he couldn't. James was lying. Draco shook his head.

"You sent me the letter telling me to hide her!" said James, like he was acting crazy, "so I hid her and spun off this story to your father. Unbelievably he believed me!"

"Where is she?" asked Draco.

He was still sure that James was lying but what if he wasn't?

"Come on, follow me," said James.

James and Draco apparated and James walked ahead of him and Draco, after a frown, walked after him. James turned to him and raised an eyebrow.

"You look dead," he stated blatantly.

"I feel dead," said Draco, feeling the words on his throat.

"Clean yourself up," said James.

They came onto a beach and James getsured to the water.

"No, I want to see Her-"

"You'll see her. Just clean up," said James, shoving him into towards the running sea water.

Draco washed his face and the water felt good on his hot skin. He closed his eyes and Hermione's face took up half his memory. He opened his eyes again and James told him to stand up. He did. James waved his wand at Draco's face and body, muttering something.