Chapter 12.

Power.

Omniscient P.O.V

Wednesday, Kimani's House, 6:04pm

One side of the door stood a girl. A girl who was full of anticipation wondering what this encounter would hold. On the other side of the door stood a boy. A boy wanting to avoid the awkward encounters and get back to the old routine of banter, jokes, happiness. Kimani unlocked the door and she shy-fully greeted Jermaine with a smile. Kimani moved to the side insinuating that he could come in but he didn't move he stood there watching her, taking in every bit of her beauty. "Naah I'm not staying long, I just wanted to pass by my besties quick." He said smiling, hoping that the use of the noun bestie would create a consensus of the relationship they had established.

Kimani smiled and rolled her eyes playfully. "OK Bestie." she said adding emphasis to the word bestie. They both felt a wave of relief as they both simply established their friendship and the feeling that nothing could stand in between the 'connection' which they had.

"Not gonna lie I've got to go, have to meet up with someone." Jermaine said pulling Kimani into a short embrace. This sparked curiosity within Kimani as she wondered who this 'someone' was, they both knew eachothers friends and companions, so who could this mystery person be?

"Raah, who you meeting with?" She enquired as she watched him sort his clothes out after their hug. Jermain pulled out his phone to see another message from the mystery person and he looked up staring at her thinking about how to approach the question without making her excited.

"Some girl I know." He replied simply whilst he stretched. Kimani squealed in excitement as she noticed him starting smiling happily. The girl was a possible future girlfriend of Jermaine, he wanted someone to settle down with, someone to call his own and he knew that Kimani was definitely not who he wanted, she was beautiful, kind and intelligent but she was nothing more than her best friend, someone who held a special place in his heart. This girl she was hilarious, irresistible and quick-witted, the perfect girl for late night conversations and deep conversation about life and society in general plus she spoke Spanish so she was able to hold private conversations in public with Jermaine without others understanding what they were talking about.

"MY MAN!!" Kimani yelled, lightly punching his arm repeatedly. "Go then, don't keep her waiting bro!" She said pushing him off of her welcome matt which stood its ground in front of her front door. Jermaine laughed and walked off to the bus stop, he really was happy about the situation he was in, the two main women in his life, Kimani and Delora.

Kimani closed the door and walked back into the kitchen and got a pack of walkers crisps from the cabinet and went into the living room. She set her work down and looked at everything she had to do. Maths seemed to be her main priority, she looked over the work, assessed what she needed to do and went ahead to completing the work. A-Levels was no joke and Kimani did not play with her education, once her work was done she was free to watch reality tv show and drabble in the drama. The time had now passed and the time was now 9:50pm, 10 to 10 and Kimani grew hungry, luckily she was in for a treat.

Her mother unlocked the door bearing gifts from the local Sierra Leonean shop in their area. She had brought back rice sticks with roast meat for Kimani as she knew that was what she liked. Kimani's mom was a very hard worker and although the work could get a bit too much her main concern was brightening Kimani's day, if she was able to see Kimani's smile everyday she would do it but it did mean she missed out on her life, she wasn't always there for the moments but ... it was all for Kimani, to grow, to achieve but most of all be happy. Kimani heard the door unlock and rushed to the door to see if she could help with any baggage her mom was carrying. Kimani was aware of the hard work which her mother put into work and she was grateful for it but she did miss her mom sometimes, sometimes she wanted someone to stroke her hair and call her beautiful, someone to tell her she was the greatest person on earth, someone to tell her she was the reason they fight but she understood, her mother had tasks to do and Kimani's 'petty' issues on her looks shouldn't bother her but were they really petty?