XXIII

My writing style is so diff now. Woah. It's crazy.

Plus, Ren isn't as jokey this chapter bc it's pretty angsty.

Okay, it's CRAZY angsty.

But... hey... character development I guess 🤷🏽‍♀️

Oh and pls excuse any errors. I rly just wanted to get a chapter out.

Enjoy!

Renegade sat alone in the bat cave.

Each drip of water from the cave stalactites could be heard as they fell onto the hard rock floor.

Every now and then a small bat would squeak, and a flutter of wings would follow.

Though Renegades busy mind was deaf to all the noises around him.

Bruce had left. Batman was now on patrol.

Batman had invited the teen, but he was quick to deny the offer.

"I have things to tend to."

A chuckle,"Like?"

"My skills have been lacking lately. I'd prefer to sharpen them."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's best to take no risks in the field after all."

A pause,"Of course... I will see you later then." The two shared no further conversation, despite it leaving an awkward tension in the room.

And the roar of the BatMobiles large engine echoed off the cave walls as it sped away towards the city, leaving Renegade solemn to his thoughts.

All he had been doing these past days is thinking as Catwoman's words had truly gotten to him. He couldn't get his mind off of what she had said. Though after much thinking, he had finally made his decision.

Renegade stood from his chair, refusing to look back as he made his way to the zeta tubes. He needed to make a move before he changed his mind.

The young boy quickly changed into his uniform- his breath quickening. Though he discarded his utility belt- the one Batman had given him- replacing it with his original belt. Which Batman has failed to dispose of, resulting in Renegade finding it.

He didn't need any extra ties to the "hero's". It was best to just rid himself of anything involving them.

"I've fucking decided, Selina." The teen sighed to himself, "I'm picking a side."

Recognized: Renegade BO0

—-

"But it's such a boring book."

"You're literally a speedster. You could read it in two seconds."

"But do I really want to do that."

Kaldur spoke up,"Keep in mind that it is your grade at stake, my friend. You would not be allowed on the team if your grades faltered."

"Oof, you're right... Fineee," Wally West picked up the hard-cover book, opening it up to the first page. Unfortunately, as he was about to start his English assignment, the zeta tube announced Renegades arrival, distracting him, as well as the rest of the team.

"Hey, Ren!" The male ginger called out, tossing the book behind his shoulder.

"What are you doing here?" Artemis walked forwards, approaching the teen.

"Hm.... I meant to go somewhere else,"The teen looked around."Whoops, guess I'm here now."

The members of the team were all much closer after individually bonding with Renegade the other day. Wally and Ren found themselves joking around a lot more- mostly pulling pranks on everyone. Superboy referred to Ren as "tolerable", which was a huge step in the right direction. Aqualads respect for the young member had risen- realizing that he was much more than sarcastic remarks and sex jokes. And the girls came to him regarding "boy help" and simply to vent.