Chapter 2

Balancing the cigarette in my fingers I zone out of Pat and Lee's argument of which celebrity is hottest, my eyes drift around the smoking area as I take a drag from my cigarette. Almost choking on the smoke as I spy Greyson sat on the benches, studying the students around him, glancing back at the boys, who are still arguing, I roll my eyes and start walking over to Grayson, his eyes settle on mine as I get closer.

"Hey Greyson, how are you?"

"Hey Danielle, can I speak to you a moment?" His voice makes me knees weak, he pats the bench next to him and I willingly comply with his silent request, I feel his gaze on me as I look at my hands, working up the courage to look him in the face without getting breathless and going as red as a beetroot. Finally I lift my gaze and despite​ my efforts, my lungs refuse to work as his blue eyes suck me in.

"You ... you wanted ... wanted to ask me something?" I mentally curse myself for stuttering, im a grown woman now, not a school girl with a crush for goodness sake.

"Yes. Would you and some of your friends mind if I take some pictures of you smoking? Its part of a project I am doing." I cant help but stare wide eyed at him while an annoying little voice in my head celebrates he wants to photograph me. Me! He noticed me. I'll be in his work! Say yes damn it. Say yes

"Yes, of course. I'll ask my friends. When will you need me ... uh ... us?" If a hole would open up in the earth that would be great, I could jump in and stop embarrassing myself. I physically jump when Greyson's hand lands on mine which is resting on my thigh, he squeezes my hand lightly, my eyes firmly held by his gaze.

"Thank you Danielle, you have no idea what that means to me."

"I ... um ... you're welcome. Um ... i'd better go." I quickly stand, cursing myself for being a stuttering mess, as I turn my back Greyson replies.

"Meet me tomorrow after college, in the photography studio." I briefly turn back to Greyson, who is smiling at me, making the butterflies in my stomach go crazy.

"Of course. I'll see you later for photography." Greyson nods in response before getting up and walking confidently back into the college, oblivious to the stares from all the other girls, my heart has yet to stop racing.

"Who was that?" I jump, clutching my chest dramatically.

"He's my photography teacher. He was asking if I could get some of my friends together as he wants to do a photoshoot with smokers. You both in?" I ask Pat and Lee who stand infront of me, Pat grinning from ear to ear while Lee scowls, his arms crossed over his chest.

"I dont like him." Lee huffs, I smile and wrap my arms around his waist tightly.

"You dont like any guy being near me when youre single." I retort, knowing its the truth, whether he admits it or not.

"Not true. I hate any guy being near you period. Unless theyre gay, then I have no qualms." I glare up at him, anger surging through my veins. Why do I put up with his attitude and behaviour? Because we have a great physical relationship? Im starting to want more from my life.

"Well im in for the photo shoot. Just tell me when and where sweetie." Pat chirps happily, I smile up at him, thinking that him and Lee are like chalk and cheese.

"What have I told you about pet names?" Lee hisses to Pat whose grin gets wider before he winks at me.

"Unless youre going to call her your girlfriend then I can call her whatever I want." I bite my lip, holding Lee's hands tightly as I feel his muscles tense, to probably punch Pat in the face.

"I will never call her my girlfriend." Just those few heated words from Lee has all my fantasies crumbling down, along with the shattered pieces of my heart, sinking into the dark abyss of wishful thinking. How could I be so stupid. Tearing myself away from Lee, forcing the tears to stay inside for just a little longer I race away from the man I thought I loved and the man who made me realise my mistake.