Chapter Twelve

The next morning arrives too soon, I walk into my room, Lee still fast asleep on my bed, grabbing my uniform I head into the bathroom, locking the door as I get ready for work, leaving the bathroom Lee is still snoring, rolling my eyes at him I hide my laptop in the drawer under the table, making a cup of tea to go I grab my bag, keys and phone and head out the door, a little spring in my step as I remember the message from Greyson before I had fallen asleep. How am I meant to act like nothing happened when I see him in college, when all I really want to do is jump into his arms and have him kiss me breathless. Unlocking the bakery I head in, making quick work of turning on all the machines, switching on the ovens, I love having the early morning shift as I get to make the pastries for the day. Tying on my apron I secure my hair in a hair net, washing my hands thoroughly before I make a start at mixing the doughs, at 7am precisely the bread delivery arrives, the only thing we don't make on premises just because of the timing needed with bread. Signing for the bread I arrange it carefully in the display case, Judith potters through the door at 8am, just as I am putting the last freshly baked pastries in their displays, humming happily to myself.

"Whose the fella that's put that smile on your face?" Judith asks cheerfully as she hangs up her bag and coat, I try and fail to wipe the smile from my face.

"Can't I just be in a good mood?"

"Of course you can dear, but I know you far too well. There's a gentleman involved who you've taken a fancy too and he's taken a fancy to you to." She smiles secretly, flourishing a newspaper Infront of my face, there on the side of the front page is a photo of the gallery, my stomach plummets as I grab the paper, quickly opening it to the page, there's a photo of Greyson standing proudly next to the covered picture, his eyes staring into the crowd, to me. The writer has nothing but praise for Greyson's work but it also speculates at Greyson being in a relationship, a young beautiful girl, who appears in a few of his other work pieces.

"Oh my god." I whisper, shocked.

"So, you and Mr Murr huh? That was that gentleman whom you took a picture of that time. Your photography teacher." Judith exclaims proudly.

"Judith you cannot say anything to anyone! They mustn't know!" I turn to her wide eyed and her face lights up.

"Your secret is safe with me. But like I said before, I believe it would be a perfect match." I groan, hiding my face in my hands from embarrassment.

"You will be the death of me woman. Come on, we've got to get the cafe open, no more gossiping." The rest of the day passes in a blur, finally 5pm rolls in and I bid a farewell to Judith, grabbing my coat and bag I head out the door, my feet unerringly taking me to the Victorian house, I collapse in the hallway, feeling physically spent, grabbing my phone I open the couple of messages from Lee.

Sorry about last night babe. I've got work. IL call you later. I had a great time last night with you.

You're mine remember that.

Shaking my head I tap off a quick message to Speedy.

Lemme know when you're free to talk Hun, need to give you a call.

I'm in town now, want to meet instead? 

She replies quickly, I smile warmly at my phone as I text back.

I'm at the manor house

She doesn't reply but after 10 minutes I hear footsteps heading towards the door, Speedy muttering under her breath how this place always gives her the heebie jeebies. Staying hidden in the shadows I wait until she steps over the threshold, calling my name, silently I reach forward and grab her ankle, yanking it slightly. Her scream echoes off the walls as she pulls away, her eyes collide with mine.