Chapter 5

After packing away all my things I hide the bag again before the short walk home, entering my apartment I am met by emptiness and cold, you'd think id be used to the feeling now but im not, it still upsets me every time I come home. Putting the heating on I take a quick shower before changing into a long t-shirt and some cotton shorts before slumping onto the sofa, the tv blinking to life, snuggled in a blanket I end up falling asleep watching a repeat episode of The Big Bang Theory, my sofa has cradled me in my sleep more than my bed has done, a bad habit of mine.

The next couple of months pass in a blur of working, studying and exams, Grayson and I have hardly spoken except for in the photography lessons but even then he seems more guarded. Its starting to really get on my nerves. Instead of spending my spare time at the pond ive gone to my other hideout, an old abandoned victorian town house, the roof threatening to cave in on the majority of the house but the servants quarters of the house are almost untouched by the nature taking hold of the rest of the building. Ive explored as much of the house as I safely could, saving small treasures that may seem insignificant to others but to me they all tell a story of someones life who now cannot tell it themselves. According to the towns records this place has been abandoned for over 100 years, a great waste of a once beautiful house, but apparently this place was haunted by evil spirits that drove the husband to kill all his family before killing himself, nobody wanted the house after that, personally I believe that the husband was mad anyway but its easier to blame it on evil spirits than to prove that a high class gentleman could kill his family of his own accord. Glancing at my phone, 5pm, id better start heading home, need to try to get an early night tonight since Speedy is staying round mine tomorrow so we can get ready for the party the day after. I hum to myself as I walk home, watching the skies colours change, so lost in my musings I dont pay attention to where I am going. I collide with a warm hard body, I stumble back but warm hands grasp my arms gently, holding me steady as my gaze jumps up to familiar blue eyes. Grayson. My heart beats wildly and my breath catches as his beauty catches me off guard like usual, his soft pink lips curve into a smile as I quickly jerk away, focusing on his shirt collar instead.

"Sorry, I wasnt watching where I was going." I hastily apologise, biting my lip nervously.

"Want to go for a coffee?" My eyes jump up to his in shock.

"With you?" I ask, my voice a higher pitch of disbelief.

"That was the intention." He jokes back, I nod, not trusting my voice, he turns on his heel and I fall into step next to him, focusing on where im going now, id rather not bump into anyone else. The silence between us is like a yawning chasm, causing my nerves to jitter until I just cant hold my tongue anymore.

"What happened when we were at the pond? You left in a hurry." I suddenly blurt out the question, annoyed at how hurt my voice sounds when I try to make it neutral. Grayson's warm chuckle flutters through me and I cant stop the fire that floods my veins, we stop outside a late night cafe and I halt in my steps, unsure of what to do next. Soft fingers gently coax my head up from my study of the floor, blue eyes capture and hold mine, closer than I had anticipated.

"Thats why ive wanted to talk to you, to apologise for my rude behaviour. But you havent been to the pond, at least not when ive come looking for you. Come on, lets get out of the cold." His hand gently rests between my shoulders, steering me into the cafe, my body's entire focus is on his palm practically burning a hole into my clothes and leaving an imprint on my skin. As we queue Grayson stands close enough to me that I feel his every breath whisper through my hair, stray tendrils dance happily in the breeze and I have to force my body not to go into meltdown mode, my skin sensitive to his every move.

"Hello, how can I help you?" The cheerful barista enquires, smiling brightly, eyes slightly diluted, too much coffee for her. I look up at Grayson's face, politely waiting for him to answer first since he suggested coffee.