II. What You're Looking For

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗what you're looking for !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

what you're looking for !
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

" Wendy Darling is finally joining the ride to Neverland," James teased as Wendy rushed inside the boat.

" Sorry I'm late, I had a few things to take care of," she breathed out. The metal door behind her groaned and squeaked as it squeezed shut.

" What things?"

" My cat," she laughed," I couldn't leave her be, so I dropped her off by my neighbor."

She mentally cursed,that sounded awfully lame, why would he be interested in her cat?

" Huh, cute," he chuckled. She couldn't tell if he was referring to her cat or to her from the look her was giving her, either way it was making it difficult for her to hide the coat of blush around her cheeks and neck.

" Get a grip," she warned herself. Stay composed, you shouldn't be this swayed.

" Do you need help with your bags?" He asked, gesturing at the thick backpack that slung over her shoulders.

It didn't felt heavy at all, and yet she could barely protest when James was already coaxing them off her shoulders.

" Thank you."

" Don't mention it," he hauled it with ease, and she almost screamed when she saw his bicep flex under his tight blue shirt.

" Dear gods, the fabric of that shirt is clinging onto each other for dear life, it looks like it's gonna rip soon."

" You're a nurse?" He gestured at the symbol on the card that hang loosely around her neck. It was a medical symbol.

" Doctor, actually."

" Impressive."

" Why, because I'm a woman?" She scoffed.

" I didn't mean it that way," he replied, sounding apologetic, or rather embarrassed," I was, impressed that's all. I'm sorry, if I insulted you."

" So you were in the army?" She asked, as a way of telling him that she's not going to get mad at him for his poor attempt at getting to know her- or maybe flirting.

" I was, yes."

" Even if you're not in the army anymore, you don't strike me as someone who has stopped serving the war."

He stopped his tracks, and he turned to give her a questioning look.

"If you really did quit the army, you wouldn't be here. You would be in England, back at home with the people who have waited for you," they continued their walk," Forgive me if I seem to straightforward, but since you're here, I don't think you're ready to leave at all."

They stopped in front of another door, it was the room for debriefing. The crew were all starting to gather inside.

" Men who couldn't leave the war are men who are looking for something - what are you looking for, Captain.Conrad?"

He seemed stunned at first, yet he replied with a smile," I ask myself the same question, and please, it's James."