XII. Close Calls

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗close calls !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

close calls !
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

" She's not breathing !" James placed three fingers under Wendy's earlobe, and when he felt the absence of her pulse his body went rigid.

Mason's body shuddered as she coughed out the water out of her lungs - she supported herself against the sleek rocks , wheezing for air. Slivko jumped out of the boat , running towards Mason," Take it easy."

" W-Wendy," Mason breathed out, and she looked over at her friend , whose body was still as ice.

" Slivko we're going to have to go with protocol - we need to do CPR, on my mark," James tilted Wendy's head, and Slivko had his hands pressed against her chest.

James leaned in, lips only inches away from hers- when suddenly she shot upright - her forehead colliding with James'.

James winced, pushed back as Wendy chocked. She inhaled deeply, panting,"W-What, Mason, w-where's Mason-"

" I'm here, I'm here , it's alright," Mason smiled at Wendy," You almost died."

" We almost died," Wendy breathed out, and James was in front of her- he was closer to her then ever.

He was so close that she could see the flickers of grey against his green eyes - it reminded her of the storm after the sea ; breathtaking and utterly beautiful.

She could feel his breath against her neck- warm puffs of air that sent shivers against her spine. She wrapped her hands around his neck, and pulled him into a hug.

He hugged her just as fiercely- sighing in relief. During their embrace, the team managed to signal oncoming helicopters with a flare that they were down by the river , and Wendy could hear the distant whirring of the helicopter blades approaching.

" Sorry if I bumped into your head," She chuckled, pulling away and cupping one of her hands against his cheeks.

" That I can forgive, but the stunt you pull back there," he gave a 'tsk', and he shot her a worried look," I don't think I can."

Wendy frowned," I did it to save Mason , if I didn't she could've died. How am I supposed to know that Kong would help her?"

" I'll forgive you, on one condition," He playfully smirked.

" And what is that?" She pulled him closer.

" Um," Mason gave an uncomfortable cough," The choppers are here."

They both turned to see everyone on board and strapped into their seats - "Let's go home you lovebirds! You can kiss when we're safe on the main ship ," shouted Slivko.

Wendy turned her head away, cheeks burning - she didn't think she could ever match the shade of tomato.

Out of the corner of her eyes she could see a dust of crimson against James' face, at first she thought he was blushing too - until she got a closer look to see that the bandage she had placed was peeled off.

" Let's go , I'll help treat that wound once we're inside," she murmured.

James helped her up, and she took the hand he offered and linked it with hers. They sat next to Hank, and the chopper took off almost immediately.

" This is amazing !" Hank exclaimed excitedly, bouncing giddily against his seat," I can finally see my wife, you think she'll remember me though?"

Wendy smiled at the man," I'm sure she could never forget a man like you."

Hank wistfully gazed out of the window, and they all watched the Island slowly fade behind the clouds.