VIII. When danger strikes

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗when danger strikes !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

when danger strikes !
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

" I have a bad feeling about this," Hank muttered," Gunpei would've agreed with me."

" I think I would've agreed with him too," Wendy didn't trust Packard, not even a little.

When Slivko caught their transmission through his radio, the group instantly did a reroute to go after Packard and his men.

Don't get Wendy wrong - she was grateful that Packard and his men were alive , and even if she hated Randa,she was glad that he was alive too.

Although now she's starting to think that meeting them was a mistake , since now they're leading them right into the Skull Crawler's territory.

" Remind me why, we're doing this again?" Mason cast a side way glance at Packard," Does he know that whoever he's trying to rescue is probably dead right?"

Wendy knew Jack, they met briefly before the trip started , back when they were still being debriefed.

She didn't know much about him, all she knows was that he had a son - and that guilt-tripped her into joining the search.

Everyone stopped in their tracks, and beneath the slope of hill in front of them scattered bones that were the size of houses - skulls the size of minivans and ribs as tall as lampposts, jutting out of the ground.

" Stick together," James ordered.

He didn't need to tell her twice.

Clouds of ash surrounded them, and the fog around her started to suffocate her lungs. She coughed, " I smell something burning."

As if on cue, an explosion was triggered by two soldiers - one of them had been smoking a cigarette , and he had carelessly discarded it around flammable gas.

Wendy was ready to tell James that she wanted to leave, she couldn't stop coughing," James I think we need to -

She was interrupted by a guttural scream, and it came from Randa, who had half of his upper body between the jaws of a six feet lizard.

Wendy placed a hand across her mouth.

Then someone yelled -" RUN."

That was enough to set her sprinting.

It roared - or screeched, she couldn't tell , but the noise rumbled through the valley and sent everyone in distress.

Guns were fired, but they did nothing to stop its blood-thirst, it grabbed a couple of soldiers , slashing its claws and nipping its jaws.

Wendy knew they had to hide, she grabbed James' arms as they ran, and stopped him -" In there !" She pointed at a chipped piece of skull large enough to shield them.

They took cover, and when Mason passed by she yanked her inside.

Silence hung in the air.

She could hear only her ragged breathing , Mason's panting and Jame's arms trailing towards his rifle - she could also hear the crunching the Skull Crawler's footsteps made as it stalked closer.

For a second Wendy thought that someone had attacked it - because it was wheezing and wailing. Then she realized that it was gagging, and a skeleton ( with most of its flesh still attached to it ) was hacked out of its throat.

Well at least it's not something Wendy doesn't see everyday, but she took a closer look and saw that around it was an army tag, in its silver surface glinted the words.

" Jack Chapman."

" Do you see what I see?" Wendy nudged the two of them.

" I think we found our soldier," Mason whispered, and suddenly guns were blazing once more.