III. Sly Fox

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗sly fox !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

sly fox !
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

" How did you know where you'll find me ?" James asked, as he entered the dimly lit room.

It was a compact one, deep inside the ship - that took him half an hour to locate. The walls were rusted, and the lamp that hung above was struggling to stay alive.

In the middle stood a desk, filled with papers and notes. Wendy looked up from her work, " Pardon?"

" That evening in Vietnam, how did you know I would be there?" He repeated, gently placing a plate of bread on top of her table.

" Didn't see you at the cafeteria this morning, I suppose you haven't eat breakfast."

Wendy sighed," Sorry, I was caught up with something. Paperwork - the chief always wants me to report back, no matter what."

He sat on the tool across her.

" I've worked in Vietnam for more than four years, learned it's language , customs and people. Made me qualified to volunteered for this mission because I couldn't stand being cooped up in the hospital being underappreciated, I decided to join the big boys. They asked me to search for a tracker - a man with excellent skills in hunting."

At that line, the corners of James's lips curled upwards- and Wendy had to hold her breath to avoid stuttering.

" I looked into some files, and I came across your name. Coincidentally you were in Vietnam, I recommended you to Randa. I hope you don't mind."

" I don't," he smiled," Now eat up. I know how you doctors can be- you can even forget to eat for days."

She giggled, and accepted the plate. She wasn't shy to eat, her stomach practically growled at the touch of it.

" If I have to be honest with you James, I feel as if Randa and his crew haven't been completely honest with us. They have other methods to check the depth of the soil- why use bombs?"

" Exactly what I was thinking, I met our photographer last night sneaking about. She says that she doesn't trust them either."

Wendy have seen her walking around the halls, she gave her a friendly smile everytime they met, and they stopped for a moment or two to chat.

" Mason Weaver, that's her name isn't it? She seems like a nice woman," She emphasized her last line, shooting him a teasing look.

" I wouldn't dare to, she has a boyfriend," he shot back coyly.

" Oh, and I suppose you have a girlfriend?" She said sarcastically.

" How'd you know?"

Her grin was cut off with his words, and for a split second she felt disappointment rake against her confidence - " You have one?"

He grabbed a slice off her plate," Got you."

In an instant, warmth enveloped her cheeks. James gave her a wink, " You seemed really distressed about it. "

" I wasn't !" She wanted to sound confident, to sound daring - but all the came out was a squawk.

" Great, now you sound like a bird."

James walked out of the room," Be upstairs at 1300 sharp ! We will brief about the plans. I'll see you there."