IV. Brace For Impact

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗brace for impact !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

brace for impact !
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

" Scared of heights?" Mason patted her back. Wendy wasn't afraid of heights, she was though, afraid of plummeting into the sea.

" Let's be logical here- who wouldn't be when they're about to go through that."

Wendy pointed at the storm barricading around the island, from here she could already hear the distant claps of thunder.

Mason nodded," Good point."

They both jogged onto one of the helicopters, James was inside. Mason gestured for him to scoot, while Wendy gave him a smile," Still got room for two more?"

Once they were inside, the Helicopters took off not long after. Wendy sat across Mason, next to one of the soldiers. He was busy prepping his gun, and Wendy couldn't feel more uncomfortable.

" Why do you need that much armory ?" She thought.

She hugged the first- aid kit slung over her shoulders as they pass through the clouds, and the helicopter jolted and shivered as it experience turbulence.

She wanted to tell Mason that it wasn't the best idea to stick her head out of the door just to take pictures of the storm, but a professional photographer like her surely wouldn't appreciate it.

Packard's voice through the comm-links.

He started to talk about the famous Ancient Greek story about Icarus and the sun, and she knew that it was suppose to ease everyone's tension, but it wasn't really doing a good job.

Then suddenly the clouds parted and they were greeted with sunlight once more. Wendy peeked through the windows, and she could see a stretch of green enveloping the island.

" See, it's not so bad afterall," Mason chuckled, snapping a picture of Wendy gazing out at the sunset.

" Still pretty scary, don't you think?" Wendy had a sinking feeling against her stomach. That feeling amplified once they started dropping bombs- the song booming from their speakers aren't helping either.

" There's nothing to be scared of if you got these babies," the soldier gestured,pointing at his rifle.

Both Mason and Wendy made a face- soldiers and their guns. Their practically married to one another.

Just as she was about to say something else, she was cut off when Mason screamed," Look out !"

Wendy's head snapped sideways to see that one of the choppers had been hit, and it burst into flames as it toppled down. A tree had pierced through it, flying through mid-air, and before she could ask how, another one went for the hopper beside it.

This time,it was James who yelled,"Pull up ! Now!"

The pilot argued, stating that he did not take orders from him. Wendy was close to grabbing the wheel from him, but then her body turned rigid at the sight of the.... Gorilla ?

" Is that..." she trailed off, and the phrase ' A gorilla the size of a building ' seemed too absurd for her to say. Although in this case, it was real - in the flesh, and it was  right in front of them - rampaging around while roaring.

The soldier started shooting at it, and Wendy saw with her own eyes that not a single bullet pierced it's skin.

Without warning, Wendy could feel herself - and the chopper being tossed into the air. The beast had swatted them, and the vehicle hauled itself upwards before plunging down into the canopies.

Wendy felt the seatbelt snap, and she rammed onto the base of the chopper. Her vision was blurry, the last thing she saw was James hovering above her- pulling her close as they brace for impact.