IX. To serve and protect

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗to serve and protect !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

to serve and protect !
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

" James watch out !" She shouted, and she shoved James onto the ground to avoid him from being swatted by the Skull Crawler's tail.

They both hit the floor , bodies pressed against each other with her hand wrapped around the fabric of his shirt-

If they weren't in the middle of being killed by a giant reptilian she would've been smitten - but right now, they've got other things to take care of.

" We need to save Mason," Wendy breathed out, and a few meters away Mason was being tailed by it.

James nodded, and he pulled out a gas mask," Wear this, it'll -"

" I'll be fine, you wear it please. If you're going to save Mason you'll need to use that, " she took the mask and placed it around his head, hands trailing down his neck to fasten it's straps.

" There," she chuckled," You look handsome. Now go save her."

He gave her a coy grin under the mask, before heading for Mason. Hank passed him his katana blade, and James caught it with ease. He started marching through the fog, and slashed every obstacle that came to his path.

She never knew he could use one of those- whatever the back story was, she was dying to know.

Wendy went after James and Mason, who was accompanied by Slivko. The Skull Crawler lunged at them.

Wendy ran closer, and she lit the lighter James had given her- and she tossed it towards the Skull Crawler, and the flammable gas triggered an explosion that burnt it.

The explosion rippled through them, and they were tossed into the air, Wendy felt an arm wrapped around her as they hit the ground.

She coughed, and closed her eyes. She didn't knew who it was - then she opened her eyes to see James. Tinted with ash and grime, eyes half lidded and he tries to regain himself.

She slid an arm against his nape, and she pulled him close, whispering a thank you in his ears. He only nodded, and held her closer.

" I'm not that fragile you know,and if you keep using yourself as a human shield," she coughed through her hoarse throat," You'll end up getting hurt."

" I know, but it'll - " he panted," it'll be worth it."

She turned her head to see Mason beside her, head leaning against her shoulders," We're alive- thank God."

" For now," she replied, God knows what else is coming for them.

-

Wendy was right , Packard was after something else.

Apparently he was after the bombs by the crash site, he wanted to kill Kong. What made her angry was that he's doing it out of revenge .

The group was arguing with one another, -" you can't kill Kong, he's the only thing that's keeping everything on his island alive!" Hank exclaimed.

Yet no matter how much they've tried to explain it to him, the hard headed man was still blinded with fury.

Hank pulled out his katana, " I didn't want to have to do this."

Packard knocked him onto the ground, and Wendy instantly ran to his side to help him," Packard you're making a big mistake here."

Wendy glanced at James and Mason, all three of them knew that they can't allow him to kill Kong.

———————

- ( A/N)

Hello ! I'm happy to see that you guys like the story so far, thank you for your support guys ! I'm glad that my writing didn't turn out to be horrible hahah

If there are some grammar errors I am very sorry, although I shouldn't give any reason for it - I'll like to point out that English isn't my first language , so I'm still learning new things about it everyday :)

[ This chapter is dedicated to -shadowchaser ! Because she always supports me on my stories , love ya Maggie xxx ]