X. The Luxury to Choose

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗the luxury to choose !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

the luxury to choose !
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

" Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're mad at me," James exhaled, moving in front of Wendy to stop her from walking.

Wendy only glanced at him, her eyes looking everywhere but in his direction.

" We don't have the luxury to choose.You know that it's not our responsibility- our responsibility is to get these civilians into safety and to get out of this island. You know this better than anyone, Dr. "

He was right, she does know that going back to save Kong would put everyone's lives in danger. But if they don't save Kong, they would put the Iwi's lives in danger- not only that, but it would be unfair for Kong.

She has too choose whether to fight or flight ; to either stay and put her life at stake or to either flee and survive, yet live in regret.

" It's not right and you know it - Captain," addressing him so formally made a part of her heart ache, it was as if they were distant strangers once more," We must go back."

James tensed when she called him by his rank, he felt something weigh down against his chest- was she really that determined to save Kong ?

He too , was actually itching to go after Packard and his men to stop them. But he couldn't possibly put any of them in any more danger -  put Wendy in danger.

" I'm sorry Wendy, I'm just protecting you."

The group came to a stop, they lost their way to the boat, and to find it James must reach higher ground. He went to go trek a cliff, and Wendy went after him with Mason.

" You giving him the silent treatment ?" Wendy asked , glancing at Mason - who seemed more upset at the tracker than she was.

" Honestly ," Mason sighed," I shouldn't be giving him the cold shoulder , even if I tried - I can't help but feel guilty because I know it's not his fault , he just doesn't want to risk our lives. But we all know that we must save Kong , we can't let him die."

Wendy nodded,and soon they were at the top with James.Mason started taking pictures, while Wendy helped James search for the river.

" I'm sorry," Wendy breathed out," if I was too hard on you.I can be pretty stubborn sometimes."

" You weren't don't worry , I understand - " he chuckled," and Wendy, about Kong I-"

All of the sudden, the ground beneath them slightly trembled. Wendy grabbed on to Mason for support.

" Watch out !" James cried out, and he pushed the girls behind him when a figure started to appear in front of them.

It was Kong.

It stared at them, eyes reflecting the fire - full of feverous might and power. Wendy could feel her heartbeat drowning out the sound from her ears, and it pounded so fast she swears she could hear her ribs rattle.

" Don't move," Mason whispered," It's alright, he's no threat."

Both James and Wendy looked at her incredulously as she slowly trudged past them and closer to Kong, she held out her hand - her palm extended outwards.

Surprisingly, Kong was still. Wendy couldn't tell if it was the calm before the storm, or if Kong was truly meaning her no harm. When she looked closer into its eyes she could see that it held more than a beast with no conscience- it held its own fears , and sorrow.

Just like any other being.

Maybe what Packard saw in its eyes was not its lack of conscience or its calamitous nature- but instead it was Packard's own lack of humanity that had been reflected against its eyes.

All along, it was Packard - it was them who had sought destruction. Kong was just protecting his kind, he had no choice.

She looked at James - who was still on guard.

" We don't have the luxury to choose."

" I'm just protecting you."

As Mason placed her hand against Kong, Wendy weaved her own hands against James'," I know we're just protecting one another. But who else is going to protect him? He has done the same for us. Besides , I hardly think we can survive another minute on this island with Skull Crawlers running around freely, who's going to help us?"

An explosion pierced through the air, and a sea of flame covered an area that used to be their crash site.

Packard was already there, and he was rigging explosives to draw out Kong.

Little did he know, he'll be drawing out something much worse.

James held her hand, and gave it a reassuring squeeze," You've got a point there, but you're going to have to stick with me the whole time- to ensure your safety."

" That's something I can definitely work with."

-------

A/N : So Wendy and James had a bit of a disagreement, but it all worked out in the end!

The reason that I put this in the story is because it can't all be rainbows and sunshine right ? Sometimes people disagree with one another- like they do in real life , but if they truly care for one another , they'll both try to see from each other's point of views and understand.

so I hope you guys like the idea for this chapter ! :)