Chapter 2: Erase My Past

ALL RIGHTS TO ROSIE B ON FANFICTION.NET Rosie B [https://www.fanfiction.net/u/38149/RosieB]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2: Erase My Past

The Once and Future Taiyoukai

Chapter 2: Erase My Past

Sota leaned on his sister's doorframe, watching her pack. He had seen her do it a hundred times - no, more than a hundred - but this time seemed different. Maybe it was the glassy look in her eye, like the tears had run out. He'd seen that too. It was something altogether strange and he wondered if Inuyasha had finally done something very smart or very, very stupid. "Packing already? I thought you were going to stay for a few days."

"No," she said softly. She sighed, stood straight and leaned back, cracking her joints. "Maybe. I'm not sure. I'm just getting ready."

"What did you and Inuyasha fight about?" he asked.

She closed her eyes briefly. "Nothing. Just the normal stuff."

"I'm not eleven anymore."

Kagome's eyes snapped open and looked at him, an eyebrow raised. "Good point. Let's get you some alcohol and hookers. Then you'll be set."

Her brother rolled his eyes and came fully into the room, sitting on the end of her bed. "That was kind of uncalled for. I was just pointing out that I'm not a kid anymore."

She sighed again, leaned over and ruffled his hair. "Sorry. I didn't mean to be crass." She smiled as she shoved a thick sweatshirt into the bottom of the bag. "How's school going lately?"

"Fine. You know, you've been different lately, Kagome."

"Okay, so apparently we're talking about me." She tossed in a pair of socks and put her hands on her hips. "What's up, Sota?"

"You're never happy when you come home anymore," he said, brushing his hand through his hair. He was fifteen now, so his hair was greasy, despite the twice-daily showers he took. His skin was flawless though. It defied reason and Kagome was jealous. Her skin had been pretty perfect too, but at least he got to show it off to more than just a half-demon, a pervert, a demon slayer and a fox kit. Her mother had said something about a girlfriend earlier. "You used to like coming back."

She shrugged. "I still do."

"Then why do act like... like this?"

Kagome smirked at him. "Are you saying you don't want the alcohol and hookers?"

He sighed, almost to the point of a growl. Kagome's smile vanished. "That's not what I mean. Every time you're home, you don't talk to anyone and look like a ghost. What is Inuyasha doing to you?"

"Nothing," she replied immediately. Meeting her brother's irritated gaze, she softened. "It's really not him, Sota. Not directly. It's just that he asked his old girlfriend to hang out with us. She's been with us for awhile now. I'm still not used to it. You can imagine the fun times we're all having."

"I didn't think you loved him anymore," he said quietly.

She gave up packing altogether and sat down on the bed in defeat. "I don't. Not in that way. But just because I don't love him romantically doesn't mean I've stopped loving him altogether." Kagome starting picking at her cuticles. "I think Kikyo still thinks that I love him as more than a friend. Heck, Inuyasha probably thinks it too."

"You've been saying you don't love him anymore for awhile, but maybe you still do," he said, leaning back on his hands. He shrugged when his sister shot him a shocked glare. "It's okay if you do. I don't blame you. But you don't have to lie about it, because I'd understand."