Chapter 15: The Darkness at Her Feet

ALL RIGHTS TO ROSIE B ON FANFICTION.NET Rosie B [https://www.fanfiction.net/u/38149/RosieB]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 15: The Darkness at Her Feet

The Once and Future Taiyoukai

Chapter 15: The Darkness at Her Feet

"Concentrate."

"I am."

"No, you are not. Focus your energy on it. Don't do anything. Just feel your power in your hands."

Kagome squeezed her eyes shut, her fingertips dancing one inch above the pinecone in front of her. Her face was turning red.

"Remember to breathe," muttered Midoriko.

The miko took a deep breath and the alarming color began to fade. Her hands began to glow the softest of pink. Across the clearing, on the other side of the fire, Sesshoumaru and Akemi shifted back. "Okay, now what?" she asked, her voice strained.

"Nothing. Just hold it there. Just at the tips of your fingers."

Kagome clenched her jaw and began to sweat. Little gasps of breath drew Sesshoumaru's attention. "Stop it," he ordered, his golden eyes narrowed.

Midoriko glared at him, but rested a gentle hand on the girl's shoulder. "Alright, Kagome. Draw it back," she said.

The younger miko let out one last heavy breath and sat back, her hands dropping into her lap. "That was hard," she murmured. "Especially the last part."

"You cannot always gather enough power immediately. If you are not patient, you can lose that power and your advantage over a demon," Midoriko said, sitting back and tending to the fire.

"Thank you." Kagome rolled her neck and sighed as the joints popped. "I hope that I'll get better with practice."

"You already have surpassed many priestesses that I have known," said the elder woman.

Kagome shrugged. "You're better than I could ever be," she murmured.

Midoriko took a deep breath, letting it out slowly through her teeth. "I hope that you are never forced to learn as I did, through pure necessity and fear for your life." She frowned for a moment before her eyes flickered back to Kagome's face and she smiled softly. "You are doing very well, Kagome. You have a great power."

"I know," she replied. She stretched and stood up. "I think I'm going to get ready for bed. There's a stream that way, right?" She pointed to the east.

Sesshoumaru and Midoriko both got to their feet and looked at one another. "Where are you going?" growled the taiyoukai.

"To take Kagome to the stream," replied the miko with a suspicious tone.

"I will take her."

Midoriko's eyes widened. "A male demon taking a human woman alone into the woods at night?" she asked, incredulous. "How indecent! You will not take her."

Kagome watched as the muscle in Sesshoumaru's jaw twitched. He was trying not to mock her, she knew, and point out that they had been alone together for many nights now. Kagome had made him promise to remain civil with the elder miko. He was clearly biting his tongue. She stepped forward. "Midoriko, you can take me, but Akemi will lead me back. I can sense danger on my own and I can protect myself, I just don't know where the stream is."

"I will not have you alone out there," Sesshoumaru started.

"And I won't be," interrupted Kagome gently. She gave him a plaintive look. "Akemi will be with me. You'll be nearby."