Chapter 4: Familiarity

ALL RIGHTS TO ROSIE B ON FANFICTION.NET Rosie B [https://www.fanfiction.net/u/38149/RosieB]

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 4: Familiarity

A/N: Ah, exams. The very word strikes fear into the heart of most graduate students, but when you're a first quarter law student, it damn near kills you. And I almost did die. But I lived for the sake of you guys and this story. So I'm sorry it's been awhile, but I hope to get the next chapter out much more quickly to make up for it. We'll see.

The Once and Future Taiyoukai

Chapter 4: Familiarity

Dust swirled around her feet as she moved, searching for ingredients among the unmarked clay pots that sat around the edge of the hut. The fire burned low and she barely looked as she threw another log on. Sparks flew up, dangerously close to the hem of her red hakama.

"Here it is," she murmured, picking up a large jar close to the door. She put her nose to it and sniffed, grimacing slightly. "Still good." She picked up the strips of cloth she had found earlier and moved towards her patient.

She worked silently for a few minutes, dipping the cloth into the balm and wrapping it around Kagome's ankle. It was warm and slick and Kagome shifted, uncomfortable to have this great miko at her feet.

"How did you know my name, Kagome-san?" murmured Midoriko, reaching for another strip.

Kagome blushed and looked away, wishing for more company than the quiet priestess. She had been ushered into the hut quickly after calling out the other miko's name. The villagers had accepted her as a miko as soon as the words fell from Midoriko's lips, but Sesshoumaru was still outside. He had growled as one of the braver men had lifted her out of his arms, but they kept their scythes pointed at his throat and he had acquiesced. Kagome wondered if he would continue to wait for her. "I um... you're famous... where I'm from."

She smiled shakily at the other miko. Midoriko was not the sort of person to lie to. She wasn't lying, of course. Kagome could envision that stone form of the miko every time she closed her eyes. This was definitely the same woman. The same strength, the same unyielding passion, the same woman that had birthed the Shikon no Tama from her soul and the soul of the demons she fought. She was just a few years younger in this time, in this moment.

"I did not think I was so well known," murmured Midoriko. "Where are you from?"

"Um, you know, here... there... I wander a lot." Another truth.

Her careful, dark eyes fell upon Kagome. "I see." She stood up and retrieved a few more strips of cloth, cleaning out the chest where they rested. "You must excuse the conditions of this place. I was passing through and the villagers told me that their healer and his apprentice had died in the last sickness. I have been having a hard time finding things."

"It's alright." Kagome squirmed a little as the balm continued to envelop her foot in unnatural warmth. "So, where are you from?"

"A tiny village to the North," she replied, sitting down to wrap Kagome's foot so that the balm was sealed into the inner layers.

"Are you staying here from now on?"

"No. I was planning to leave today actually. Then, you showed up with your companion."

Kagome gave an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ruin your plans."

Midoriko shrugged as she tied off the bandages, securing them in place. "I have no true plans. I go where I am needed." She stood and dusted off her knees. "I will go and have one of the men fashion a crutch for you. You should not stand on that foot for a couple days." She frowned at the sludge-like blood still running down Kagome's side. "Perhaps you should change?"