five

It was the day after Athena had met Marlene and she was happy to finally have a free afternoon to spend with Drew. She smiled happily as she strolled around the town with her child in the stroller. People eyed her judgingly as they saw how long she looked and ignored her as she passed them. The cold air had nipped her skin even though she was wearing a thick red scarf and she shivered. She had peered over the stroller to look at Drew who was awake from the cold and wrapped around in a thick blanket that she took from home.

   His tiny eyes looked around as he started to make a few noises. Noticing that he was cold, Athena grabbed a blanket from a compartment in the stroller and placed it over the roof of the entire thing, hiding away Drew from the cold as the darkness covered him. She looked in a small plastic covering which was attached to the top of the stroller to look at her happy baby who seemed warm enough for the day. Smiling in content she walked around the street, passing several cafes until she spotted her favourite cafe in the corner of a street. It was an off white colour and had some dark wooden lining, there were three huge windows that opened up to the world of books, loaves of bread and cupcakes. There were small tables for people to sit outside, but in this weather, everybody had retreated inside.

  When Athena had walked through the doors of the cafe, she was hit by the smell of freshly ground coffee and freshly made bread from the oven

  When Athena had walked through the doors of the cafe, she was hit by the smell of freshly ground coffee and freshly made bread from the oven. Her insides swirled with hunger as the welcoming heat had made her feel more at home than ever. She looked around for an empty seat, there were not many people filling the area and so she found a perfect spot near the window where she could watch the cars zoom by and enjoy hot chocolate as she took care of her child. 

  She smiled in content as she saw the menu which had her favourite drink. She was never much of a coffee person or tea person, but rather a chocolate person and favoured most of her drinks with hints of chocolate. Luckily, the menu in front of her had a whole range of chocolate flavoured drinks from milkshakes to her favourite hot chocolate. She truly admired the selection of drinks and pastries that the cafe offered. As she sat by the window,  she checked Drew once more and once she had scanned the menu, a friendly waiter had arrived with a notepad and a bright smile. In Athena's mind, she had thought that he was cute and liked how his brown hair spiked up slightly and his brown eyes were warm.

  "Hello. I'm Jake, what can I get for you?" he smiled and showed a toothy grin. 

 'He has a British accent,' she thought to herself and gave him a small smile.

   "Just a medium hot chocolate with two spoons of sugar," she told him and he wrote her order down. He nodded and gave her a bright smile before walking away behind the counter. Athena pondered about her classes today and realised she had another essay due for her classes. She quickly grabbed her bag behind the stroller and brought out her laptop. Her laptop had only half of its percentage, but she knew she only had to make a start. She quickly logged into her laptop and started to type away her new essay. Her eyebrows furrowed in concentration as she occasionally glanced at Drew to see if he was awake, but thankfully he wasn't and continued her work.