thirteen

"Here are your blankets and pillows," Athena had said as she made an entrance in her living room, two blankets and a pillow was stacked neatly in her arms as she made her way towards Alejandro who had finished washing the dishes and was now seated on her plush couch staring intently at the TV screen which was in front of him. The news was playing quietly in the background as she placed the pile onto the couch and sat next to him. It was only then that Alejandro noticed her presence and his breath hitched slightly at how close she was to him, only mere centimetres from brushing shoulders and it stirred rocks in him.

    "Erm, thanks," he muttered out as he twisted his position so he was slanting slightly to face Athena. She smiled back lightly and nodded to herself before watching the news in front of her.

    "No problem, what time do you want to sleep?" she asked without taking her eyes off the screen, Alejandro didn't reply as he just stared intently at her face. He found her really pretty, he admired how her pale skin was clear of any blemishes or any pimple scars, her cheeks were slightly rosy and her nose was reddened by the cold. She seemed to not notice how he was staring directly at her, admiring her features which she thought were boring and she was too engrossed about listening to the shootings that were happening in a few towns over.

     Alejandro was still staring at her, he thought she was absolutely breathtaking, even in normal clothes. Her eyebrows furrowed slightly which for some odd reason, made his heart skip a beat and it was unusual to feel something for him as he never really had time for any of the romance that seemed to happen around him. But, Athena had made his view about romance change and this time wondered what it would be like to have her by his side, what would it be like to wake up next to someone like her and kiss her delicate lips like a normal couple would and it appalled him to think of such things that he believed would never happen with someone had gorgeous as her. While he was in deep thought, Athena had stolen a glance towards him and stopped when she realised his face was mere inches away from hers. 

   He was still in deep thought as Athena eyed him directly in front of her, he didn't even realise the close proximity they were in and Athena's heart skipped a beat before she blushed furiously and looked back at the TV screen.

    "Alejandro, you didn't answer my question," she spoke out and thankfully, it snapped him out of his thoughts and his dazed state returned back to normal to face Athena with red cheeks.

    "Uh, maybe in an hour, are you going to stay?" he had asked her, his voice uneven and hoarse as if he had done something bad and got caught. Athena thought for a while and shrugged as she tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ear.

    "Sure, if you want me too. Did you get invited to go to the cliffs?" she asked as she shied away from him, she finally realised how close they were and moved away. Instantly, Alejandro had missed the slight warmth she was emitting and wanted to pull her closer, but that over-stepped the friend boundaries and he decided against it.

    "Yeah, are you going?" he asked her back, curious to know if she would leave Drew to go to a party, even though she was still nineteen, Drew seemed to be more important to her than anything else. 

   "I accepted the invite, but I'm not really sure if I should go, the people that would probably be going don't like me very much," she admitted softly, her mind reeling back to the judgemental stares that she gets almost every day of her life ever since Drew was born. Alejandro's heart ached slightly at the thought of people not liking her, everyone should like her and in his opinion, she was the most amazing and strong-willed girl he's ever met. 

    "Why do you say that?" he asked, much more curious now than ever.

    "Well, I think it's because of Drew. Ever since I had Drew people have been giving me judgemental stares or saying things about being 'irresponsible' or whatever. My family practically ditched me, my parents died in a car crash and my relatives have shunned me for having sex before marriage." she explained, looking at the ground, ashamed of her family history as she felt the memories pick at her eyes, trying to make her cry for her sins.

    Alejandro's heart had clenched painfully at her words and immediately wrapped his long arms around Athena in comforting her. He held her close to him, afraid that if he were to let go at any moment, she'd break or disappear from his arms. It was then when he knew he was afraid to lose someone like her, someone who had to lighten up his world and made him a lot happier than he was before. His heart was beating painfully quickly as he places his chin on his head as Athena bathed in his comfort, loving the feeling of his arms wrapped around her.

    "You're not irresponsible, you made a beautiful boy who will be just like you, amazing and great," he whispered as he felt her snuggle closer into his chest and smiled at the feeling of her so close to her. Her heart warmed up to the maximum, her cheeks pale red as she smiled into his chest. His compliments would be the end of her. 

     "You're so nice to me, why?" she murmured out, her lips barely touching his t-shirt as she practically placed herself in between his legs and cuddled him.

    "Because you're someone I'm willing to run miles for," he answered truthfully, which made Athena's heart clench even more and her whole body heating up in such a delicious way that made her blush harder than she ever did before

    "Really?" she asked as her head rose from his chest to look him straight in the eyes. He waited a few moments before he responded, making sure to put all his feelings about her into one word.

     "Really," he spoke softly, and Athena immediately looked for any lies in his blue handsome eyes, but it held nothing but the truth and compassion which she had yearned for since she had Drew, and when time had stalled to the point everything was a blur around them, she realised what she was looking for all this time, companionship and possibly someone to care for her, more than she did for herself.