sixteen

Athena munched on her hot dog in delight as she ate with Alejandro next to her. A cup of beer was placed in her hand by Alejandro as he quotes 'needs to lighten up a little bit,'. She had reluctantly agreed to it and sipped the beer after every bite. She didn't really like the taste, but she enjoyed it nonetheless. 

    "How are you liking the party so far?" Alejandro had asked before taking a large bite of the hotdog covered in tomato sauce.

     "It's alright, I mean, no one seems to be staring at me. Plus, everyone seems to be having fun," she replied back as she licked the excess tomato sauce off her lips as she finished the last bite of her hotdog.

     "I'm sorry if you're not having fun," Alejandro admitted shamefully as he recalled not doing much besides talking and eating, whilst everyone else was dancing or swimming. Athena felt bad at his words, knowing that she was the one who was holding him back from having fun.

     "No, it's okay. But, you can go have fun, I'm sure your friends would love to see you swim with them," she reassured him and pointed at his friends who splashed merrily in the water under the moonlight.

      "What? No, I'm having fun with you. I don't want to go swimming, I want to stay here with you," he replied instantly, before grabbing her hand, discarding his food and dragging her onto the makeshift dance floor. Surprised, Athena looked around her to see if anyone saw his strange outburst, relieved that no one was paying attention, she looked back at Alejandro who had a cheeky glint in his eyes.

     "What are we doing here?" Athena giggled as Alejandro grabbed both of hands and pushed them back and forth, inciting to dance with her.

     "Dancing, come on Athena, let's dance!" Alejandro exclaimed as he hollered into the air and jump to the beat. Athena laughed loudly, the two bottles of beer she had drunk slightly hazing her ability to make decisions.

      "I don't know how to dance!" Athena yelled over the music as Alejandro was dancing wildly, not one trace of alcohol in his blood as he let loose. 

     "Feel the music! Just let it all out!" he bellowed out as he jumped when the beat dropped. She giggled in her response but decided to try it out. It was a rare moment for Athena to let loose and allowed the music to guide her. She jumped and waved her arms around, occasionally, Alejandro would grab one hand and spin her around which made butterflies erupt in her stomach.

     She felt bubbly inside as she danced with someone she cared so much about, her worries left her behind as she focused on the present. She screamed loudly as the music got louder, it boomed in her ears as she danced wildly next to Alejandro. The pair might've looked funny to everyone else's eyes, but to them, dancing next to each other, enjoying each other's company, it was like no one else was watching as the two continued to dance on through the night. Not one worry coming through them as they became happy together.

 Not one worry coming through them as they became happy together