4

"Hinata!"

"I swear I'm fine-"

"You collapsed in the middle of nowhere, don't lie to my face!" The captain said, losing all composure.

"Daichi-san I'm okay-" Hinata tried to say again.

"No you're not!" Everyone said in unison.

"Okay, but please! Calm down everyone-" Suga tried to say over the loud voices. He was just as worried and flustered as everyone else, but he knew he had to be responsible

"Hinata. Are you okay?" Kageyama asked in a calm tone. Everyone stopped to stare at the setter now. He was usually the one who wasn't trying to keep cool.

"No," Hinata admitted, making everyone even more surprised. "I'm not okay, I'm scared and I feel helpless." The moment Kageyama spoke up, Hinata had broke down and spilled out his worries. Nobody could tell what was happening, and nobody spoke.

"It's going to be okay. Believe." This was a Kageyama that no-one had seen before. A caring and compassionate boy, who was worried about his friend. However, no-one saw more than that, except for Tsukishima. He watched the duo, and the rest of the team, and frowned. He was extremely observant and the moment he saw it, he knew. The exchanged glances that were a bit too passionate and their worry for each other. And Tsukishima knew he wasn't imagining it when he saw Kageyama's pupils dilate when he saw Hinata today.

☆☆☆

"I'm really sorry... I guess we'll have to keep an eye on Hinata for a while longer then. I really didn't know... it would be like this." Dr. Sukodu said, as he tried to hide his frustration in front of Hinata and his mom and his coach.

"I see." Coach Ukai sighed. He was obvious worried, but didn't know what to do.

"I'm so sorry..." Dr. Sukodu repeated again. He felt so bad for Karasuno's volleyball club, they had trained so hard, and finally reached nationals. What would happen now?

"No... doctor... it's not you fault... it's mine." Hinata said, finally speaking up. All eyes were on Hinata now.

"Shouyou?" Hinata's mother asked, not knowing what to expect.

"I... was careless with my body and I overworked myself," Hinata murmured quietly. "My leg is probably permanently... broken or something. It's just my fault... I was... selfish. I didn't think of Karasuno, our team, I wanted to improve so much... and I overdid it."

"You wanted to improve so you wouldn't fall behind. You wanted to be good enough to be the ace. You wanted to be able to stay on the court as long as you could."

"Dr. Sukodu..."

"I understand. The feeling and need to improve. I was a volleyball player as well before."

"I'm sorry." Hinata had nothing left to say. He had let everyone down, and especially Kageyama who had believed in him.

☆☆☆

Kageyama wasn't sure what to think. What would their team do without Hinata? What would he do without Hinata? He felt like panicking but he knew that wouldn't do any good.

"Kageyama." Tsukishima called out towards him. The tall middle blocker walked towards him, and Yamaguchi who was usually always with him, wasn't here this time.

"What?" Kageyama snapped, for absolutely no reason. He didn't even know why he would take out his anger like this, and to Tsukishima.

"Does the king not want to talk to a peasant?"

"I told you not to call me that!" Kageyama said practically growling. He then stopped and tried to calm himself. "Sorry."

"Don't apologize, it's creepy."

"Yo-"

"Anyways, I have better things to say. And I'll get straight to the point- I know you like Hinata."

"Huh? No! I mean, sure in a platinum way!"

"Did you mean platonic?"

"Um, yeah!" Kageyama felt his face flush in embarrassment. Why did he use a word he barely knew?

"I can tell that's far from true."

"It is!"

"I really don't know how the team can't see these things. What if I told you Hinata likes you as well?"

"He does!?"

"See? You care."

"I'm just... confused, okay?"

"And I'm here to clear your confusion. If you two are gonna keep being stupid like this- it's just going to end up in our team being a wreck."

"That's right!" Out of nowhere, Suga appeared.

"Suga-san! Where did you come from? How much did you hear?"

"Pretty much all of it. And I think it's a bit ironic how you say you can't see how the team can't see these things. What about you and Yamaguchi?"

"What about Yamaguchi?"

"I think you know what I mean." Suga said with a teasing grin. Kageyama couldn't seem to tell what his senpai was hinting at towards Tsukishima, but the middle blocker looked away.

"I don't know what you mean, but we're talking about Kageyama right now."

"Right. But you can't avoid it later on, as you are well aware."

"What?" Kageyama finally asked, having no idea what they were talking about.

"You can't tell? Yamaguchi-"

"You have to go talk about it with Hinata." Tsukishima said interrupting Suga so he wouldn't have to be an embarrassment in this conversation.

"But how?"

"Confront your feelings, and his as well. You know it's true that you like him."

"But are you sure he likes me?"

"I can't be sure of anything. That's up to you. Now stop being a 'dumbass' and go talk to him."

"But-"

"No more buts, king! Where did your king personality go?"

"Hey! You wait, I'll go..." Kageyama stomped away. Tsukishima had a smart way of making someone feel angry or frustrated and doing what he wanted them to do. But he knew, he would have to confront something soon as well.

☆☆☆

"Ah, it's you again." Hinata heard the nurse say as she opened the door. "Please come in."

"Thank you." Kageyama said, slightly bowing towards the nurse in respect.

"Kageyama-kun, you're here!"

"The rest of the team didn't want to come and disturb you, but... Suga and Tsukishima insisted that I came by myself."

"Why?"

"Uh, I just wanted to discuss some things."

"Well... Kageyama, you can find someone else to do the 'freak quick' with. I mean afterall... I am useless without you when it comes to volleyball. No one else can set to me like that, you're the one with talent in this situation."

"You really are a dumbass aren't you?"

"What?" Hinata was taken back by this. What did he mean?

"I thought we discussed this. I need you. No one can replace you."

"I'm not the only one who has the reflexes and natural talents. You know that. My game sense in volleyball is minimal."

"Tossing to you... is the most enjoyable thing I've ever done in volleyball," Kageyama said, trying his best not to sound weird and awkward. "And I guess since volleyball pretty much consumed all of my life- meeting you and being on the same team as you was a blessing from... the heavens."

A/N: I'm writing a TsukkiYama fanfic and that actually might be a kind of sequel to this story.
I'm so sorry for the platonic/platinum joke 😂, Kageyama is such a boke though ;) and Tsukki is a nerd, but they're both my smol children