10

Drifting away slowly, and aimlessly, it was as if days, weeks, months had passed. Hinata had nothing left in him. He had been holding on to the tiny string of hope and strength but it as slowly wearing out.

He tried harder than he ever could, but maybe... just maybe... there was no point anymore. Who was he even trying for? 

Maybe it was time to let go.

It wasn't so scary now, going through all this physical and emotional pain, perhaps it was time to just stop.

He felt himself slipping away. Was he dying? Maybe this was how death was like.

But then there was a hand reaching out to Hinata. 

It was getting closer. 

Closer. 

But he couldn't reach it. It was barely a volleyball width away.

He felt himself getting sucked up deeper and deeper. 

He knew he had the willpower to fight through all of this... and there was someone out there waiting... trying to help.

He had the vision of himself in the bottom of the sea. Where sunlight was sparkling on the surface and that he just needed to float back up. But it was as if he couldn't- and the helping hand was getting farther and farther.

Who was it?

Everytime he looked- he couldn't make out what or who it was. But this time- his eyes met them. The piercing cold eyes that drilled into Hinata. They were serious yet it made Hinata feel needed.

"Kageyama..."

"Hinata. Please... I'm asking for... one more miracle."

"Kageyama?"

"Just... stop being dead. Wake up again, and it'll... it'll all be alright. I'm begging you..."

"Kageyama!"

"Come back when you're ready. We're all waiting for you." And then Kageyama was gone. A feeling of regret and frustration. He was so close, he almost grasped consciousness but alas, there was no longer hope.

☆☆☆

"Hinata's condition... is getting worse now." Dr. Sukodu said, addressing Karasuno's volleyball club.

"All in one day?" Daichi asked, obviously shocked and worried. The whole team was rather silent, and the mood was depressing

"Yes, I'm afraid. He's dangerously close to..." the sentence was left unfinished, and it lingered in the air for a solid minute.

"Death?" Kageyama finally said, afraid of the answer. The entire team suddenly found the floor very interesting to stare at.

"I'm so sorry."

"Why?" Tsukishima said, surprising the doctor. He looked up to Tsukishima and his face showed a peculiar expression.

"What do you..." Suga asked, in a bit of a cautionary tone. He knew Tsukishima was up to something, but he didn't know what.

"Hinata is Hinata," The tall middle blocker said. "I'm pretty sure all of you know that better than anyone. He's... different. This whole thing was rather strange, but I think Hinata is weird enough to fight through this. If anyone could do it, I believe that he can."

"But what if he can't?" Kageyama asked, and as he said those words, he felt his heart crack, but he continued on. "What does that mean for our team? Who's taking his place? What's going to happen? We're going to have to plan it, if we like it or not."