13

"Takeda-sensei, please-"

The teacher raised his hand to stop him. "Hinata, you're good at convincing people and I know you really want to play, more than anything else in the world, but this is about your well-being."

"C'mon... guys..." Hinata looked around the room to find that everyone was staring at their feet. "Anyone?"

Daichi took a deep breathe and looked up. "We care about you, Hinata."

"We won't want you to get hurt." Suga chimed in.

"I won't!" Hinata exclaimed, trying to sound as convincing as possible.

"We don't know that for sure."

"You work hard, you play to your limits, it'll take a toll to your body."

"We'll see, okay? So don't complain at the moment." Tsukishima said, making everyone, especially Yamaguchi, look at him in awe. "What?"

"Well you are rarely so caring."

"That's not true!" said Yamaguchi, coming to his defense. "Tsukishima is one of the most conscientious and caring person I know."

"Shut up, Yamaguchi." Tsukishima mumbled, but deep on the inside he appreciated it.

"Just... rest well okay?" Kageyama finally said, after moments of debating in his head. He couldn't find the right words to say to him. There was so much he wanted to say but it just didn't feel right.

There was a knock on the door and Asahi opened it to reveal the medical team again.

"Five minutes is up."

"So fast?"

"Hinata needs his rest. His health is the most imporan-"

"Volleyball is the most important to me!" Hinata pleaded, and looked to the nurse for support.

The nurse shook her head. "I'm sorry Hinata, but Aoi is right."

"Alright team let's, uh, go." Coach Ukai declared awkwardly.

"See you later Keishin," Hisakawa said. "Go get some rest Karasuno."

"Okay." The team exited the room, saying their goodbyes to Hinata. Kageyama gulped, and turned towards the middle blocker.

"Rest... please." Kageyama cringed at himself realizing how dumb and weird that sounded.

"Alright Tiredyama," Hinata said with a smile that melted Kageyama's heart. "See ya later!"

How did Hinata stay so positive at a time like this? Kageyama was envious of him for his welcoming and lovable presence. Everyone wanted to be Hinata's friend. Nobody seemed to want to be Kageyama's.

☆☆☆

As the team made their way out of the hospital and headed home, Coach Ukai and Takeda-sensei went back to the gym to check on a few things.

Takeda sighed and turned towards the stressed coach. "If Hinata can't gonna play, who's going to replace him?"

"I never really thought about it, honestly." Coach Ukai said, sighing as well. "Hinata always seemed so... invincible. I really don't know which of the subs can go in for him."

"We... can't win without him." Takeda whispered.

"It's possible, sensei... but unlikely."

"It's nationals we're talking about here. It'll be difficult."

"There's always a chance that he'll be okay."

"But can we risk that? It's his health we're talking about here."