Driving a Motorcycle into a Truck Kills People, Didn't Ya Know?

Maria Hill got the text at one in the afternoon, just as Fury began the meeting. Her phone buzzed and buzzed and buzzed as the texts piled up. Angrily pulling her phone out of her pocket, she punched in a text to Clint. 

Stop txting me, u moron. In a meeting. 

She got a reply saying, Tasha's hurt.

Swearing under her breath about Natasha's annoying ability to find trouble, she stood up, made a lame excuse and walked over to the door. Bruce and Tony and Steve stared at her in amazement as she had never once left a meeting without a good excuse.

Fury raised an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yes, really," Maria snapped. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to hurry."

"Why?" Fury asked. "It's only lunch."

Maria shot him a quelling glare and tossed him her phone. "Later, boys."

She speed walked out the door and ran as fast as she could to the crash site, glad she'd chosen to wear comfortable clothing. Her sneakers pounded against the tarmac as she slowed to a halt next to Clint. 

The truck was on it's side in the ditch, dairy products leaking out the back. The red motorbike looked tiny in comparison. Maria saw a man with a bleeding nose and a twisted elbow standing with the police and ambulancemen. Natasha was nowhere to be found. 

Seeing Coulson and Fury pulling up in a car she turned away and studied the area. Listening. She heard a faint gurgling. Water. Taking off at a full run, Maria raced towards the water, stopped, saw the blood and followed slower. 

Natasha lay crumpled on her side, hand in the water. Dead still. Her helmet was bobbing gently in the stream, splatted with red. Her chest rose and fell unevenly. When Maria turned her onto her back, Maria blanched. Natasha had a chunk of glass sticking into her neck. Blood was trickling out of it and Maria knew that if she pulled it out, Natasha was more likely to die. Her nose had obviously bled heavily, her left cheek crusted red. Blood had lightly stained her jeans and Maria assumed it was because she had skidded. 

Making a split second decision, Maria gently picked Natasha up, careful to support her head like a baby. Natasha stirred, opened her eyes, saw Maria, groaned and rolled her eyes.

"Figures," she slurred before her eyes rolled up and she went unconscious again.

Maria stepped back from the ambulance and pulled her shirt away from her body. It had been blue. Now it was red. Fury came and stood beside her as the ambulance pulled away, driving to SHIELD HQ. 

"Next time don't stop me leaving."

"There won't be a next time if she hadn't been careless enough to have gotten herself shot." Fury sighed and put his hands in his pockets. "Twenty bucks it was the Winter Soldier?"

"No way," Maria said, her lips quirking into a smile.

"When we get back, you're doing all the paperwork to this," Fury said, walking over to his car. 

"Whatever, Nick," Maria smiled. "I do it all anyway."

Fury snorted. "Yeah, right."