[Chapter 2: Aqyila]

I awoke, to find myself on a soft white, cushion-like mat. My body felt warm, and my pain had reduced significantly. I found my arms, torso, neck and head bandaged. A soft white sheet covered my body, which was dressed in a white linen sleeveless dress.

I tried to sit up, grunting slightly. Once in a sitting position, I got a good look at my surroundings.

I was in a simple brick-walled room. The room had a very few things. A few large woven baskets were placed at the corner of the room. There was a clay basin filled with water and wooden scoop at its side. A large mirror was fixed to the wall, right next to a window, which had thin curtains covering it.

"Oh, you are awake? You heal very quickly," I heard a woman's voice speak from the doorway to the room.

She entered the room with a wooden tray in her hands that contained a cup and a bowl. She knelt on the ground and placed the tray on a mat next to me.

I realised she was the same woman from before. The one who brought help. She gave me a bright smile, and placed the cup in my hands.

"You must be thirsty,"she said.

I accepted the cup of water silently and gulped it's contents down. I was definitely parched. The woman passed me the bowl next. It contained some soup. She placed it on my lap, but before eating I expressed my gratitude.

"Thank you. For bringing help, and treating me," I said sincerely, my voice still hoarse. I honestly did not know what would have happened of she did not.

I would have healed. But Axel would not have made it... I gasped, remembering him.

"My friend! How is he?" I asked, panicked as I remembered the state he was in.

The woman gave me a sympathetic smile,"He would have died if I had not come sooner. He is in a very terrible shape. Unlike you, he is healing at a slow pace. Fret not, the Meidis are doing their best. He might awaken in a week or so," the woman explained patiently, trying to not get me panicked.

I was far from it. I was relieved. So relieved in fact, I did not realise I was tearing up, till the woman gently brushed the tears away from my cheeks.

"He must mean a lot to you," she whispered.

I did not know how to respond to that. Before the cataclysm, I would have said yes without hesitation. But it was complicated now.

I still had many questions. I felt hollow inside. But knowing he was alive was more than enough. After all, I thought I killed him... Like I said, complicated. Perhaps the relief I felt was simply to get rid of the guilt of almost killing him. It was just a selfish relief.

I decided to push away those thoughts at the moment. He would awake from his coma, and I would confront it then.

"What is your name?" I asked the woman, changing the topic.

The woman smiled and replied,"My name is Inya. And you?"

"Laila."

She nodded,"Laila, beautiful name. And your friend?"

"Axel..."I said slowly, cringing mentally at the bitter taste it left to say his name.

Inya ushered me to eat. I slowly sipped on the soup as we conversed.

"Inya, where am I?" I asked.

"Aqyila. A village in the Fifth ring. Where did you come from?" she said, as if expecting me to understand what that meant.

I bit my lip. I had no idea on what she was talking about. I could not tell her I was transported here from a wormhole. That would be ridiculous.

"I-I..."I searched for the right words. Inya noticed my hesitation.

Inya touched my arm,"It is okay. If it troubles you. You do not have to tell me. I believe you just went through something horrible from wherever you came from," she said.

This woman was a saint. She was so understanding and patient. I secretly thanked the stars for allowing me to meet her.

"Thank you for understanding,"I said.

Inya nodded.

As I sipped on the soup, Inya said,"The Meidis were quite surprised at your healing capabilities. Despite the severe damages, your body healed miraculously."

I remained silent. These healing abilities were still new to me. I was aware that I had been genetically modified to do many things. I was developed so, to be prepared for the deactivation of the AHM333. An extraterrestrial Advanced Human Manipulator. However, after a few tests, my death after deactivating the AHM333 was certain.

If I could heal, why were they worried? I was technically immortal.

"Laila, only the Higher Ones have that capability... I do not mean to pry but, are you from the First Ring?" Inya asked.

I raised a brow. Higher Ones? Immortality is a normal fact here?

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," I replied, shaking my head slowly.

Inya furrowed her brows, but then her expression relaxed.

"Nevertheless, at least you are safe. Eat up and get some rest," Inya said, standing up and exiting the room.

I stared at her as she left the room, and shut the door behind her. I placed the bowl aside and took a deep breath.

What is this place? It felt ancient. Yet, not in a normal way. As if it were the past of a different race of humans.

Was it the past in the first place? Or was I in a different dimension altogether?

What did she mean by Higher ones, Fifth Ring, First Ring?

What realm was this, that allowed the Akashic to flow seamlessly? A realm where immortality was possible.

All I knew, was that at the moment, I was in Aqyila.