[Chapter 39: A Chat With An Ancient Egyptian God]

"Thoth! I mean Lord Thoth? Master?" I said fumbling with my words.

The dark-skinned sage was sitting atop a large boulder, in a cross-legged position, staring at the scenery. "Just Thoth is fine," he said, then motioned to the flat-faced boulder beside him,"Have a seat, Laila."

I did as he said, and made myself comfortable on the rough stone surface tucking my dress under my legs. The rock's surface was pretty cold, but I decided that it was unwise to mention that my butt was having a brain freeze.

"Um... No offense, but I thought you guys stay in the hall all the time," I said, as I finally warmed up to the hard stone surface I was on. Thoth removed himself from his meditating position, and stretched out his legs.

"Of course not. That would be a waste of a huge temple, now would it?" he said with a smile.

"And a severe case of leg cramps," I muttered to myself, unfortunately Thoth heard it.

"Right you are, little one," he replied with an amused smile. I chuckled. At least one of the Higher Ones had a sense of humour.

"We only use the hall for discussions. No one usually spends time there after that. We can hardly stand each other's presence for too long," he said with a laugh.

I smiled,"You're very humanlike... I mean not that I assumed you were not human... But you know the other Higher Ones are so... God-like? They don't seem that human," I said. Thoth stared at the scenery with a distant look, not that I could tell from his pupil-less eyes.

"I for one, believe, that losing touch with our humanity is the most dangerous thing of all. No matter the greatness of the knowledge I possess, I cannot lose what makes me, me. I personally like to interact with humans more often that the others," he explained.

"You know... Some time in the future, you would be preached as the god of wisdom and knowledge for an amazing civilisation," I said, as I recalled Thoth, in recorded history, was a huge symbolic figure in Ancient Egypt.

"Now that is interesting. I for sure am not a god," he said.

"Then what are you guys?" I asked, human seemed like an overstatement.
Thoth pondered thoughtfully,"We are humans. Though older... Much much older," he said, and I believed him. All the Higher Ones had a sense of aged wisdom in their eyes despite their unearthly appearances.

"But... I don't know if you're aware... Or if it is somewhat different here, but us humans were created by the extraterrestrials, they modified us to serve their purpose," I said, the ancient astronaut theory had well been proven and marked the beginning of this everlasting war.

"Indeed, you are correct," he said with a nod.

"Then you know?" I reconfirmed.

"Of course. The aliens made slaves. However, they forgot an important law of nature. Life... Cannot be controlled, evolution is bound to happen, and the products may soon surpass their creators," he said, he spoke as if he witnessed it firsthand.

"Indeed I have witnessed it firsthand, Laila," he said, pulling the words from my thoughts.

"The other members, The Higher Ones and I, were their first mistake," he continued. The mist grew thin around us, sprays of cold water chilled my skin.

"We grew more profound as time passed. Soon, we grew intelligent enough to connect with our creators. They acknowledged us, as one of them," he said smiling wistfully, but his smile was soon replaced by a grim line.

"We got stronger. Strong enough to overthrow them. It was never our intention, nevertheless they began to fear that their creations might have gone out of hand. They left one day, and never returned," he said, a long sigh followed in pursuit.

He turned to me, his dark skin reflected the ethereal light of the cove in a beautiful way,"They would return, soon, and it would end in demise," he said with frown gracing his features.

"If you can see the future, why don't you just stop it? Can't you see if I would succeed? What mistakes will I make? How do I prevent them?" I rambled on.

He raised his hand to silence me,"The future is a fickle thing. It changes every second with every action we take. I see countless of futures foretelling the demise of my people, yet some say we would survive. I cannot tell which. The same goes for you," he explained.

"It all depends on your actions. You decide on the future you want to pave."

I shook my head,"I don't know if I can do this. What if I can't control my powers? What if I become a monster just like those aliens?" I confessed my worries.

"I think you have forgotten the most important ability you possess. The strength of the mind. If you believe you are strong enough, then it will physically manifest," he said tapping my forehead.

"Our mind is a powerful weapon. I spend my entire life unlocking each of its abilities. Just a fun fact, one of these abilities include manipulating physical appearances," he said. I could not help but think of Lord Chrius. He looked like a little boy.

"Lord Chrius is extremely ancient, mind you. But exceptionally vain," Thoth stated.

"There is still so much to learn. I believe only one of us have actually come close to discovering all of the abilities of the mind," he said.

"Who? Za?" I asked which ignited a laugh from Thoth.

"Definitely not. It is The Embodiment. I believe that once we reach a certain point of spiritual intelligence, we lose our physical selves and become one with nature. Which is why The Embodiment... Has no true physical manifestation."

"It doesn't have a body?!" I exclaimed.

"You should find out yourself," he said, amusement glittering in his eyes. I suddenly imagined running to the hooded figure and pulling its robe open.

Bad idea.

"Are you serious? I think that'd be kind of rude," I muttered. Thoth laughed again, I assumed he saw the weird visual of me stripping The Embodiment open.

"But I will tell you one thing. If you feel like you require really good advice, you should most definitely ask it," he said.

"You're kidding, I'd be too afraid to approach it," I replied.

"The Embodiment is anything but scary. Mysterious for sure, but definitely not dangerous," he said reassuringly.

I shrugged still unconvinced,"I'll think about it." I glanced at the sky. The sun was directly above my head, illuminating the cove with warm rays.
"Its already noon, I gotta go for some training," I said standing up and stretching my arms.

Thoth nodded and folded his legs back to his meditating position.

"But always remember one thing Laila. Every species has no right to be controlled by another. Not even by its benefactors," he said, then closed his eyes.

I nodded to myself. "You're right. We deserve independence."

------------------------
A/N: Hit that vote button if you liked the chapter!