[Chapter 12: Sail Away]

After a few hours of riding, we finally reached the port. I was feeling saddle sore, and my legs were numb. I got a look at our surroundings. The port was bustling with activity. Dozens of ships docked along the jetty, people were busy unloading items from the them. Rows of makeshift shops lined the other end of port making it seem like a market, each vendor eager to sell as the other.

The sun dipped low, indicating it was late evening. Dusk would soon bathe the land, and we would be sailing in one of those beautiful ships. The ships were designed differently from one another. Inya explained that the ones with more delicate engravings and artwork were for passengers, while the larger more sturdier ones were for shipping.

What interested me even more was the various kinds of people gathered at the port. It was certainly great to see a different race other than the Aqyilans. Skins varying from all shades and features depicting their foreign lands. I noticed one other detail that stood out the most, the people had the markings or tattoos, similar to the ones that Inya had, on different places on their bodies and they consisted of different designs.

I was aware that all the people of Aqyila had tattoos encircling their arms in a specific pattern. Inya was the only one with a tattoo delicately inked across her forehead, resembling a headpiece. Some of the people here had tattoos around their necks, around their ankles, some had an entire sleeve of tattoos.

I had to remember to ask Inya about them.

Once we reached our ship, Inya handed Axel and I each a thin woven wristband. We were to not take them off till we reached Fruiro. It was sort of like the boarding pass.

Soon I found myself walking up the wooden ramp to board the beautiful ship that would be taking me to the Second Ring. The deck was furnished with sitting areas, the rooms in the lower deck were quite comfortable as well. It would definitely made the entire three week journey bearable.

I decided to explore the ship later as I was feeling exhausted from the Hippidion ride. I decided to take a nap in my room. Snuggling myself in the woven blankets, I surrendered myself to sleep.

----------------------------------------
Hours later, I awoke. A flickering candlelight illuminated the room, indicating that it must have been already sundown. How long was I asleep? I untied my cloth bag, and rummaged to find something.

When my hand finally touched its cold surface I pulled it out. I smiled sadly. In my hand was a wrist band equipped with the timer and various other functions. It had followed me back in time, along with a few other small items that were attached to my suit. Most of the other items were damaged as I traveled through the rip. However, the wrist band still functioned.

I glanced at the numbers at the corner of the screen displaying the time.

17:45

It was only late evening back at home. I swiped the screen and clicked the side buttons twice. It took a few tries but after the fourth try, a flickering hologram projected from the screen. The first image that was displayed was of Bermuda. The hidden island which was also an extraterrestrial base. It was still standing strong and proud, the huge cone-shaped tower- the AHM333 activator- was still portruding from the ground. It was an image of the past. The present would have displayed ruins.

I swiped at the hologram. The image changed to that of Atlantis. I let out a sigh. It was as beautiful a ever. Various shaped towers, the huge library, the cigar-shaped mother ship. My heart began to ache.

Was everyone safe back at home? Uncle Elias, General A-Roz, even Dr. V-Ron. I could not bear to think of what might have happened. The barrier was deactivated. It would have been only reasonable to think that the aliens have invaded the only safe haven of the Greys. I could only hope that they escaped in time.

The door to my room creaked open. I quickly switched off the hologram and shoved the wristband into my bag.

"Was that the holographic projector?" Axel said as he entered my room.

I huffed in annoyance. "What do you want?"

Axel looked hurt at my retort, but I steeled myself to not care. I looked away.

"Yours is still working I see," he said. I kept on ignoring him.

Axel let out a sigh,"Are you not going to talk to me?"

I clenched my fists, the image of Atlantis was still bright in my mind. The beautiful place was most probably in ruins. And it was all his fault.

"You expect me to talk to you? Do you know what I just saw? Do you know how much it kills me to see Atlantis? To know that it's now overrun by aliens. The people I cared about most probably kil-," I stopped myself. I could not say the word. I did not want to think of it.

I stood up and walked over to Axel, "And to be well aware, that it is your fault it happened?!" I lashed out.

Axel's eyes betrayed his guilt and pain. He broke eye contact, looking away.

"Look at me, Axel. Look at me and answer me. Am I really supposed to be talking to you?" I said with a scowl.
Axel green eyes looked faded as he stared back at me. Yet he did not say a word. I pushed past him angrily and exited the room, slamming the door behind me.

I walked up to the deck, relieved to see Inya sitting by the railing, enjoying the night breeze. Stars dusted the sky, and the waxing gibbous illuminated the night.

I walked over to her and sat beside her with a huff. She noticed my distressed expression.

"I asked Axel to call you out for dinner. I guess that was a mistake on my part," she said softly.

"He doesn't even understand you. How on earth did you ask him to do it?" I asked, not as annoyed. Inya did not know anything, hence I could not blame her for doing so.

Inya smiled,"I have been trying to learn your language."

My eyes grew wide,"That's amazing, Inya!"

"Enough about me... Do you mind sharing, what made you so mad to see Axel?" she asked.

Soft winds chilled my skin, as I thought about it. I have been keeping it in my heart for way too long, it was eating me up inside. It would be nice to tell someone. Especially if that someone was Inya, the most trustworthy and understanding person I knew.

"Fine... Let's have some girl talk."