[Chapter 26: The Second Ring]

Fruiro was breath-taking. Since I had only been to various villages and small towns, Fruiro was definitely a show-stopper. The city was filled with beautiful complexes and structures. Pyramids were spread out, huge minarets towered over us. It was a very organized and bustling city. People traveled by Hippidion or foot. Some in carriages as well. I noticed that most of the people here had Sankra around both their wrists. That must identify that they originated from the Second Ring.

As soon as we got off the ship, Inya's colleague, a petite woman named Dahri, greeted us. She brought us over to her place, a house at the heart of the bustling city. Dahri was an Akashic scholar of Fruiro. She and Inya had been friends since their college days. She was a very high-spirited girl.

"Laila! You and Inya can use this room. While your friend, Axel can use the other one," she said as she showed us our rooms.

"And do not let me catch anyone of you sneaking to each other's room for midnight meet-ups, or else you would have to bear with the fact that I would most probably be watching you," she said, eyeing us with fake seriousness.

"So if you want to. Be sneaky!" she said, winking at me. I gave her a bewildered look. I did not even want to imagine what she was thinking.

"Unless you want to see me, past midnight," she said, her eyes flickered to Axel for a moment, and she gave him a flirty smile. I looked away, refraining the urge to gag.

"Well then I will be making lunch, make yourselves at home!" She said, clapping her hands together, before walking into the kitchen.

I smiled wryly as she walked away. She reminded me of my best friend, Lin. Perky, loved to tease and an ultimate flirt. I really missed her.

I did as Dahri said and settled into my room. Inya left the room to help Dahri cook as well as discuss with her on their next plans. As soon as she left, I pulled out the wristband I had been working on.

The small device was cracked at the edges and looked worn out, as I had been tampering with it way too much. My efforts to use the Ekhol to power the wristband and possibly send a message through the Akashic without risking myself from losing my mind, were unfortunately futile.

I decided to put it out of my mind for the moment. I needed more assistance, hence I would have to wait till Werdi arrived to Fruiro. I was still not sure on when he would arrive. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

I shoved the wrist band back into my bag and went out of the room. Inya and Dahri had just finished cooking.

"Laila! After lunch I am going to visit  the Akashic Inventory. Are you and Axel coming along?" Inya asked. I nodded. It was finally time to got back in business. The weeks of travelling had only made me more and more agitated. I did not want to waste another moment.

"When will we meet Gyouta Nasmin?" I asked. He was the purpose of our visit to Fruiro.

"Tomorrow. We have booked an appointment with him. So we would see him first thing in the morning," Inya said.

Just one more day. I thought to myself.
After lunch, we took a walk to the inventory. Fruiro was a capital city, hence it was densely populated. The city consisted of multiple complexes, and scattered around the complexes were residences, markets and so on.

The inventory of Fruiro, unlike Aqyila, was a huge complex on its own. A magnificent pyramid that towered hundreds of feet stood at the centre of the complex, scattered around it were smaller pyramids and structures. Scholars were scurrying around, scrolls in their hands. There were carriages that were getting loaded with crates of artifacts and scrolls, probably about to get delivered to other inventories.

We entered the main pyramid. A beautiful hall spread out before us, with walls engraved in symbols and designs, statues encircled the main hall, each depicting different values. At the centre was of course, a huge Ekhol perched on a pedestal. It towered so high it almost reached the vertex of the pyramid. Dahri ushered us to one of the many archways that branched out from the main hall.

As we walked along the corridor, I noticed Inya glance around nervously, as scholars passed by. Dahri was oblivious to her nervousness. She kept on tugging Inya towards one of the large set of doors along the corridors.

We entered a large library, that had several work desks arranged at the centre. A few scholars were sitting at their work desks busying themselves with their work.

"Irah!" Dahri exclaimed. One of the scholars raised her head. Her eyes widened at the sight of us. A second later, her face split into a huge smile.

She rushed over to Inya and enveloped her in a hug. Inya awkwardly hugged her back, a fake smile plastered on her face.

I recognised the girl as Inya's sister, Irah. She was really beautiful, with her long dark hair hugging her slender frame. Her tawny skin matched her bright eyes perfectly. Irah pulled away and examined Inya with excited eyes.

"Oh, it has been so long! You have definitely grown thinner, Inya!" she said with a laugh. Inya smiled wryly in response.

Inya looked so uncomfortable, I was worried she would just run out of the building. Nevertheless, she kept up with her charade of fake excitement.

"How have you been?" Inya asked.

"Wonderful! You on the other hand, have not been replying to my letters. Then suddenly decide to show up here, in Fruiro," Irah shook her head in disbelief.

Inya lowered her gaze, "I have
... Been busy. I came here for some errands actually," she said, glancing at me. It was only then did Irah notice Axel and I.

"And what are those errands specially?" she said eyeing us both.

"It is a long story," Inya muttered. Irah raised a brow.

Before she could say anything, Dahri clapped her hands together and said, "Then let us have some tea and hear her out!"