[Chapter 8: The Flow Of Time]

Inya furrowed her brows as she read the scrolls laid out before her. The flickering light emitted from her lamp illuminated the living room as the darkness of the night surrounded her. It was well past midnight, but Inya was too preoccupied to notice.

Earlier that day, after returning from the inventory, she found Kayis and Laila immersed in a stack of scrolls. She realised that the scrolls were the ones recently delivered to the inventory by the main branch at the Second Ring. How they ended up in Kayis' possession was not a mystery. She realised the boy was getting sneakier day by day.

Nevertheless, her urge to scold the kid dissipated, as both he and Laila were agitated to tell her what they had found.

Inya let out a huff as she scribbled the interpretations in her journal. She was definitely right not to underestimate Kayis. His idea was indeed brilliant. If she was not wrong, with a little fine tuning, it might just be possible to travel through time using the Akashic.

In fact it seemed to be the explanation as to how Laila got here in the first place. A warp in the Akashic allowed her to travel back in time. Perhaps in a more controlled situation, a warp or rip in space-time was not required to produce a doorway to do so.

It was completely thrilling to know this, yet she knew that there had to be a catch. The amount of energy required was immense and the Akashic connection had to be stable and strong to allow a safe journey. The minds required had to be the best of the best.

It was becoming clear that Laila would not get the help she needed while stuck here in the Fifth Ring. She needed the Higher Ones' assistance. Only they would be able to carry out such a feat.

She continued to study the scrolls, as the night drew on, learning more and more about the channeling of thoughts through time. She realised that she could contact the scholar who was researching on this theory. The name scrawled at the bottom of the scroll was none other than Gyouta Nasmin himself. She knew ideas this bizzare would only sprout from the mind of a genius like him. Gyouta Nasmin was a well-known scholar, and practically her idol. His works were exceptional and used all throughout the continents.

She could visit him, but she was well aware he was a scholar of the Akashic Scholars Group of the Fruiro Branch in the Second Ring. She did not have the willpower to go to Fruiro again... Ammer was there. The one person she swore never to see again. Crossing paths with him had to be avoided.

But Laila needed the help...

Was she willing to sacrifice that for her? Laila was stuck in this time, unable to return. Her world was invaded by extraterrestrials, and she was the only one that could stop it. Laila was clearly more important than her petty personal problems.

She had to get Laila to Fruiro. They had to discuss with Gyouta. Even if it meant facing Ammer once again.

Heavy coughing shook Inya out of her reverie. She glanced at the room the sound came from. It was Laila's friend, Axel!

Inya scrambled to her feet and rushed into the kitchen to get a cup of water. She brought her lamp into the room with her and placed it on an overturned woven basket. A dim yellow light illuminated the patient that had been asleep for two weeks.

But now he was awake, very much awake.

He was clutching his head with one hand and gripping the blankets with another. His coughing had subsided but his face was contorted in pain. But what scared her the most was look in his eyes.

They were hollow, as they stared back into hers. His eyes were out of focus, she knew he was not staring at her. But something beyond.

Slowly, Inya walked towards him and tried calming him down. After a few minutes, he stopped trembling. He blinked a few times and let out a shaky breath. It looked like his pain had subsided as his face was slightly relieved.

After he calmed down, Inya proceeded to give him the cup of water. He sipped it slowly, wincing as he swallowed.

Inya decided it was best to not startle him, hence she simply let him drink the water while she sat in silence. She let her thoughts wander.

Axel was awake, which meant her plan to head to Fruiro would not have to be delayed any longer.

She glanced at him and carefully spoke,"Are you feeling better?"

Axel gave her a confused look. He cleared his throat and tried to speak,"I don't...understand?" His voice was very raspy due to his vocal chords that had been unused for weeks.

Inya could not understand the language he was speaking and it seemed like he did not understand her either. If he needed an explanation, he had to wait for Laila.

She ushered him to rest once again, trying her best to assure him sans words that all was well. Despite his confusion, he obeyed and laid back onto the mat. Inya lighted a few incense pots and proceeded to leave the room.

"Wait," Axel suddenly said, stopping her in her tracks.

"Laila... What happened to her? Where is she?" he struggled to say with his hoarse voice.

Inya only understood a single word, Laila.

She gave him a reassuring smile and nod, hoping it would convey the message that she was fine. Then, she turned to leave the room.

As soon as she stepped out of the room, she noticed Laila coming out of hers. Her hair still ruffled and her eyes squinting at the lamplight in Inya's hands. They both stared at eachother for a good minute before Laila said,

"He's awake, isn't he?"