Five

Thomas POV

It has been a month and he isn't  awake. At this point I don't know that he will. We stopped racing to the hospital. Became more solemn around him. Peggy cries a lot more. Everyone does. None of us know how to be strong when he might die. We walk down the white halls of the hospital. What if he's alone when he wakes up? I hug myself and cry as we enter the room. Everyone goes before me now. If I burst into tears before everyone else they'll never get to see him. After everyone has gone I kneel by his side. I plan to stay the night tonight and be here all week. It's a random break I decided to take instead of Thanksgiving. I sit beside him and cry so hard. As I bawl into the bed I feel a hand stroking my hair. Peggy stands on the other side and is stroking my hair. I hear the monitor speed up and suddenly he grips my hand.

"Cmon Alex. Fight for me." I breathe. He deeply inhales and coughs. I stand up and look at him. His eyes flutter open.

The first thing he says is "I forgive you." Before I lean down and kiss him. He yelps and kisses back.

"I love you." I say softly. "I can't begin to tell you how much."

"You loved me enough to visit me everyday. At first you always were here first because you wanted to see me. Then you were last because you wanted my friends to see me. You love me enough to bring fresh roses each week. You love me enough that you made a two minute speech asking for me to forgive you. You love me enough to serenade me when the others leave. I love you too." He says.

"Why? I've been horrible to you." I gasp.

"I forgave you because John would want me to. I love you because you're amazing." He breathes. A doctor walks in.

"He's awake! Just need to run some tests and we can release him tomorrow!" The gray haired man says. I call George.

"Your son is awake." I whisper.

"I'll be there soon. Class I will be back." He yells the last part to the students. Alex sobs into my side, hopefully in uncontrollable joy. Mr. Washington bursts in.

"Alexander!" He yells. I step away and allow them to hug tightly.

"Dad." Alex croaks throwing his arms around the tall man.

The next day I take Alex home, everything is exactly as he left it. Exactly how I wanted to remember him if he didn't wake up. Alex looks at his things, running his fingers over the dusty items. He grabs up the book he was reading, a novel about Beauty and the Beast. After thumbing through it he begins humming. He opens his dusty laptop, which had been resting on the coffee table.

Alex POV

All of my things, untouched. I open my laptop, right where I left it. The first thing I'm greeted by is writing.
I hate this man, but maybe it's because I'm too blind to my own feelings. What kind of enemies keep blades from each Other? And what kind of man would I be if I did not explore these feelings for the southern man? I shall ask Lafayette more about his cousin. Then I must get to know the tall man. Maybe I will find my feelings and have happiness again.
I tear up at the writing, thinking of how I fell in love more and more every day I was in a coma. With a slight smile I shut the laptop.

"I'm starving." I say. Thomas nods.

"Spaghetti?" He offers. A very pretty girl suddenly struts in. She wraps her arms around Thomas.

"Hey there babe." She moans.

"Maria." Thomas says. My heart breaks into a million pieces. I sigh in disbelief and run out the door. I run and run until I can't run anymore. I'm so far from where I was that New York towers only a few miles from me. A black car pulls up.

"Hey there baby. How much for service?" Asks a smooth voice.

"I-I'm not a prostitute." I say.

"Your not a girl either." He spits. "I can give you a ride but it's gonna cost you." He growls. I nod and slip into the car. "I'm Charles Lee, where to princess?" He growls.

"Alexander. To Princeton." I sigh.

"Pretty far from home, huh?" He grunts.

"Yeah. So what will I have to pay?" I ask pulling out my wallet.

"We will discuss it when we get there, princess." Charles hisses. We drive in silence until we pull into a parking lot in front of the school. "Okay, you have to have sex with me." Charles spits.

"W-what?" I ask.

"You heard me princess. Off with the shirt." He growls. I obey with trembling hands. He smirks. "Pants too." He adds. I pull of my jeans slowly. When they're off he shoves me into the back and follows me. He undresses and forces me towards his...

"No-please stop." I cry.

Thomas POV

I race through the blanket of night. This is my fault. I go to the front parking lot and hear whimpering and crying from a car. 'No' and 'stop' are prominent words. I force open the door to find Alex in his boxers and a naked man forcing Alex to-to... Suddenly enraged I pull Alex out of there and punch the man. After grabbing his clothes I help him redress. He sobs into my chest and I shush him gently.

"What happened?" I ask softly.

"I asked him for a ride and he wouldn't tell me how he wanted me to pay until we got here and-and.. oh god Thomas I'm so sorry. Maria seems nice." He says wiping away tears. "I hope you guys are really happy." He adds in a very sincere voice. My heart breaks in two.

"Alex baby no-" I begin.

"Thomas, I get it. I wasn't there for you. You need someone who will always be right on time." He says biting back tears. He walks away and I try to stop him, but give up when I realize that I'll only scare him worse if I grab him. A few minutes later I receive a text from Lafayette.

Baguette: what did you do to Alex???
Herc-I will cut your heart out with a spoon!!!
Tjeffs- I'm sorry guys. I really screwed up. Maria came over and called me 'babe.'
Baguette- that girl who always hits on you?
Tjeffs- yea. Alex ran away and someone tried to rape him...
Herc- How is that your fault?
Tjeffs- I didn't try to stop him. Or Maria.
Baguette- I'll talk to him but you need to come over.
Tjeffs- okay.
With a gulp I click off my phone and make my way to my cousins dorm. When I enter I find Alex curled into a ball on the couch while all of his close friends cuddled up next to him. Alex is sobbing.

"I just don't know what I did wrong." He whispers.

"Mon ami, it is not your fault he tried to rape you. You are 'ze victiim here." I can tell when he gets upset. His accent thickens.

"And Thomas hate me again... I just can't anymore. I wanna go home." He says and I realize what he means.

He wants to kill himself.

And it's my fault.