xvi

#bestfriendzoned 

After we rode the hot air balloon, we went straight to a fancy-looking restaurant or bar (something like that) to have a glass of wine—we were brought there by our pilot by the way. The bar was a few metres away from the field.

"So, are you guys planning to get married?" asked our pilot out of sudden. I accidentally chocked on my wine once I heard him say. "Ah, are you alright, Miss?"

Jin shook his head while wiping my mouth with thumb. "Tsk-Tsk, please drink slowly, my love," he said—in a tone that every husband does—he was playing around and acted as if he was my boyfriend. "Yes. In a few more months—ah!"

I stomped his foot to shut his mouth. "No, we're just friends, sir." I glared at him as he just smiled cheekily.

"Ah, but best friends may lead to marriage." Jin and I coughed at the same time. "You two look really close though, I don't mind giving you a discount for your honeymoon."

The both of faked a laugh at the same time while nudging each other's shoulder so one of us could say something. We both glared at each other with our teeth gritting.

Jin faked another cough. "Actually sir, I already have a girlfriend and we're planning to get married too. Wendy is just my favourite friend..." he explained to our pilot.

Our pilot was stunned and nodded his head. "Well, congratulation for you Mr. Kim. How about you, Miss? Have you found your boyfriend?"

I was taken aback by his question—that question was the hardest question ever in my life. "I-um, soon...after I'm done with my studies...I'll focus on finding someone to get married," I answered.

I gazed at my empty glass and I saw myself in the future or more like my prediction in the future—I would be lonely in my white coat in a hospital while thinking about how to find someone like him because why must I find a boyfriend when all I wanted was to be with him.

"Well then, I'll be rooting for you guys!"

Silence had filled the car; I guessed I was feeling a bit down about earlier. The road to go back to Brooklyn was so long—I would look outside the window, changing the radio station or just check my boring phone because no boyfriend could send me a text because I don't even have a boyfriend.

"You alright Wendy-boo?" he asked me once we finally saw the city lights of New York.

I nodded my head. "I'm just...tired, I guess..." I lied. I wasn't just tired...I was heartbroken and miserably sad.

"Yeah, I should take you home then—"

"No, I want to watch the drive in theatre! Please, I'll be fine!" I sat up straight to switch the radio station again as then an unfamiliar country song played. "Did you check what movie is playing?"

He shook his head. "I called the owner but they said they also don't know yet." I pursed my lips and just watched him driving. "What? Why are you staring at me like that?"

"Nothing, I just want to look at you..."

We then arrived at the garden and we parked our car in the middle of the whole cars because it was a nice spot to watch the movie.

"The movie starts in a few; do you want something to drink?"

I hummed while thinking about drinks and foods. "Can you get me a bottle of cola and a few snacks?" he chuckled lowly and swung the door open. He left me alone in the car.

"Keep it together Wendy; he's just your best friend..." I lifted my hand and looked at the ring he gave me as a friendship ring. "You'll be okay, stay strong!"

A few minutes after, Jin came with two bottles of colas in his left hand and a few snacks under his armpits and his right hand too. I helped him opening the door and then I held the snacks too so he could enter the car.

"Do you want to sit outside?" he asked as he hasn't closed his door. I smiled with a short nod and then we got out to sit at the back of the truck.

Just right at the moment, the movie played on the big screen outside. "Thanks..." and he just returned it with a beautiful sincere smile.

It was a very old movie of Audrey Hepburn, probably around 1961; the movie was Breakfast at Tiffany, and I'm sure everyone knows it.

"She's so pretty," the both of us would say every time her face was showing. I actually watched the movie before and well, the plot of the story was pretty much what I wanted in my life.

Holly was like Jin in my story and I was like Paul. Just like in the movie, Paul was in love with Holly, yet she was quite naïve and kept on declining him even though they spent times in so many things.

I was in love with Jin yet he didn't know anything because he had a girlfriend even though we spent our times each other in so many things.

The different thing about the story was that, they eventually kissed at the end part and they ended up together. Unlike my story, I would be stuck being a best friend of Jin and he would be a father and husband of his girlfriend.

"Do you really think best friends can be husband and wife?" he asked out of the blues and my heart began to beat fast.

"Huh?" He repeated the question once he turned his head to look at me. My eyes were wide as my mouth was gaped. "I don't know...do you?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "It happens in movies and books..." he diverted his eyes and continued to watch to movie. "But don't you think it's funny?"

"I don't know..."

"Well I think a best friend will always be best friend."