Prologue

The Fates held up the screaming, wriggling, black-haired baby girl.  She was crying with the fullness of her lungs and frost came from her blue lips.  Verdandi held her close, wrapping a dirty cloth around her and placing her on top of a stone altar.  "Mischief has been reborn into this fragile form," the goddess said as she stroked the dark locks.

"He died fighting for something better, and now, he gets a second chance," Skuld continued, admiring the child from a distance.  That was when Wyrd approached, a deadly knife in her hand.

"But, should we give it to her?" the Fate asked, and her sisters looked at her.  "Better people have died for what they believe in, and we have not granted them the second chance."

"They were not literally reborn into a new body," Verdandi said in defense of the babe.  "This little girl has been brought back into the realms, the first born daughter of the new king, Helbindi; and his queen, Jarnsaxa.  They cast her aside because she was once more a runt, and considered too weak to live.  But, another voice spoke on her behalf.  The soul of Frigga of Vanaheim requested that we give her that chance."  Wyrd frowned before she looked down at the screaming baby.  The knife went out and pressed lightly over the child's throat.  The girl kept crying, ignoring the blade that could end her life at any second.  Skuld finally approached and pushed Wyrd back.  She picked up the baby and kissed her forehead.

"She was given this life to make up for the mistakes of the previous.  We have been charged with giving her that chance.  And woe to those who would put an end to that chance," Skuld said as she rocked the infant.  Wyrd hissed, but backed away.  Skuld looked down at the suddenly quiet baby and found her looking back up at her with wide, green eyes.  "Don't worry, little one.  We will send you to a new home, where you will be cared for and loved.  But, your path will still be hard.  Endure it, sweet child!  For your reward will be tenfold!"  Skuld watched as the infant's eyes closed before she placed her back down on the altar.  Verdandi waved her hand, muttering something in an ancient language.  A shimmer of white light appeared, and suddenly, the baby was gone.

"Good luck in your new life, Loki."