Chapter 8 - Roles Reversed

When Loki opened her eyes the next day, she was shivering and she knew that she was still in the grasps of her fever.  Her ankle felt a little bit better, but she knew it was swollen beneath the blankets.  She pulled her one hand out from beneath the blankets and touched the wounds to her face.  The mud was dried and had sealed the cuts as she knew they would.  When she tried to move her other hand, she found she could not.  Loki looked down and saw that Clint had fallen asleep at her mattress, holding her hand tightly in his own.  She smiled and her fingers went through his growing locks.  He really had been sweet in staying by her side.  Loki shifted again and Clint groaned in his sleep.  His fingers flexed around Loki's and she laughed lightly before she moaned.  Her ankle throbbed and the heat within her spiked.  Clint was awakened by it and sat up quickly.  "Who?!  What?!" he cried out before he realized that it was only Loki.  He stroked her knuckles with his thumb while his other hand went out and felt her forehead.  "Your fever is high.  We'll have to break it."

"Cold water," Loki whispered and he looked at her.  "Carry me to the creek.  Once in the freezing waters, I can shift into my natural form and combat the fever.  Trust me," Loki said.  

"Um... isn't the cold how you got your fever in the first place?" Clint reminded.  

"If I shift into my Jotun form, it will counteract the fever.  Just trust me," Loki said.  Clint finally nodded and threw the blankets off.  He pulled Loki into his arms and carried her outside.  The rain was still coming down and Clint shivered in it.  He took Loki to the creek as instructed and stood back as she untied the strings of her dress.  The damp material slid from her shoulders and Clint tried to turn away, but found he could not.  As she revealed inch after inch of pale and unblemished skin, Clint found himself more and more mesmerized by it.  Soon, Loki was naked as the day she was born.  She stepped into the water with more grace than Clint thought she should have in her condition.  She allowed herself to go beneath the surface of the water, and Clint immediately made a move to go after her.  However, Loki resurfaced a second later, her skin cerulean blue.  Ice seemed to cling to her black locks and her breath came out frosty.  

Loki splashed her face with water before turning around.  Her eyes were closed and she seemed to have forgotten Clint's presence.  But, in her forgetting, he was getting a good view of her bosom.  She ran her fingers through her hair, pushing it from her face.  Finally, she opened her eyes, revealing the crimson gems they had become.  She gasped as she recalled that Clint was still there and ducked beneath the water.  "I am so sorry!" Clint said as he turned his back on her and tried to quell his own desires.  It had been so long.  Loki blushed a deep purple and continued to sit in the frigid water in her natural skin.  Clint swallowed hard.  He had seen Loki turn blue before, but she had been wearing clothes.  Now, he had seen those designs that carved through her skin, swirling around her breasts, between them, and even coming close to her nipples.  The runes and markings went down her toned stomach, vanishing under the water where Clint could not see.  Clint felt himself come to attention.  "I'll be back."  Loki let him go.  He was gone for several minutes where she could not hear or see him.  Loki finally started to come out of the water and change her skin as Clint was returning.  She quickly covered herself in her shift and blanket.  "Let's go back," Clint said stiffly as he picked her up again.  

"Thank you, Barton," Loki said as they walked back.

"Hey, you did this for me," he reminded.  She smiled and they walked back to her place in silence.  However, they were not so silent when they saw people standing before Loki's house.  "What's going on?" Clint asked.  It took Loki a split second to recognize them.  

"Ogen!  Gyda!  What are you doing here?" Loki asked as Clint carefully placed her down on her own doorstep.  

"There you are!" Ogen exclaimed and Gyda hugged Loki.  "Are you unwell, Ikol?"

"Just a fever.  We got caught out in the rain yesterday, and I fell and twisted my ankle.  Nothing to concern yourself with," Loki explained, "but why are you here?"

"We hadn't heard from you in a while, and the hunters will be leaving tomorrow morning," Ogen said as he had Ikol sit down so that he could examine her.  Clint had quite forgotten Ragnar's offer to go hunting with them.  

"But, what about Ikol?" Clint asked.  Ogen checked her temperature and the ankle.  

"We'll take care of her," Gyda said to Clint with her cheery smile.  "I'll either stay here, or we'll bring her back to Master Ogen's dwelling.  I for one, do not want her out of my sight until she is pronounced healthy."  Gyda embraced Loki and gave her a kiss.  Loki smiled at the sweet girl and winced when Ogen applied some pressure.

"You reset your ankle?" he queried.

"Barton did," Loki answered and Clint lowered his eyes.  "He handled himself very well."  Ogen bowed slightly to Clint.  

"I thank you for your efforts, Barton.  I think while you go on your hunt, I will take her back to my place," Ogen said.

"I am fine, truly, Ogen," Loki said as firmly as she could.  "I can stay here.  If you desire, Gyda can remain until I am cured."  Loki turned to Barton and waved her hand.  "Well, you'd best get going if you're going to make it to the inn.  That's where the hunters gather before they leave."  Clint stammered for a few seconds and Loki watched him with amusement on her face.  "On with you, man!"  Clint jumped to and began to pack meager supplies to take with him.  Clint put his quiver over his shoulder and snagged his bow.  He glanced back at Loki and saw her already taking up her sewing.  She must have felt his gaze on her for she looked up at him.  "Oh, for Norns sake!  Step to it!"  Clint gave her quick bow and scuttled out of the cottage.  Loki let herself smile and went back to her stitchery.