Chapter 29 - The Bartons vs Odin

When Loki was done dealing with her family, Clint told her that they would undoubtedly have to handle Odin next.  "I don't know what he might try to pull on us, and I can't risk him coming after you," Clint whispered as they cuddled together in bed.  Darian was asleep in a little cradle right next to them and they could see his little hands twitch as he slept and his lips puff out as he breathed.

"I know.  I'm delaying it till tomorrow.  I can't let him think he can have me or my son.  He'll use our 'relationship' in my life as the excuse to try to control me.  But, I won't let him.  He'll never control me again," Loki assured her husband.  Clint sighed in relief and wrapped his arms even tighter around.  He pulled her flush against his body and rested his face in her locks of ebony hair.

"Please pinch me," he whispered.

"Why on earth?" Loki queried.

"Because I'm afraid I might be dreaming, and you and Darian will vanish in a minute.  Please!  I have to know this is real," Clint pleaded.  Loki nodded and reached down to touch his arm.  Her sharp nails dug into his flesh as she pinched him with everything she had.  "Ouch.  And thank you," he murmured as he nuzzled her close.  Loki closed her eyes with a smile on her face.

Sure enough, the next day, they were asked to visit the Asgardians and Odin in his tent.  Natasha walked with them and when Clint asked about Thor, she said he was already there.  Loki had Darian wrapped up in a binding across her chest.  He was awake and staring at his father as they walked along.  Clint gave him sideways glances and smirked and crossed his eyes.  Darian smiled at the general silliness of his father.  "We're here," Natasha said as they arrived at a large tent, where Sif stood guard at the entrance.  

"Thank you for coming," Sif said to Clint.  Hawkeye nodded and he watched as Sif studied Loki.  The former God of Mischief stood up straighter, her green eyes narrowed as she and the Asgardian warrior looked at each other.  "Enter.  The All-Father and the prince are waiting for you," Sif finally said and she stepped aside.  She held the tent flap open and the Bartons entered.  Odin was sitting on a large wooden chair, which was part of a circle of others around a brazier.  Thor was sitting on his father's right hand side, but he rose when they entered.

"Clinton!  And sister!  How is the little one today?" Thor asked, his voice loud as usual.  Darian's face screwed up and he wailed.

"He's not happy you're talking with the power of a fog horn, man," Clint answered as Loki took Darian out of the wrap and began to jounce and shush him.  Odin just watched everything without saying anything.  Loki felt his eyes on her and she raised her head to look at him.  

"Take a seat and let us begin," the All-Father stated.  Clint nodded and he and Loki sat down.  Thor also took his seat again, his eyes bright as he watched Loki handle Darian.  They all waited until Darian had calmed down before they began.  "I must admit, when Thor told us what Clint said, I was shocked.  I knew you were alive somewhere in the Nine Realms, I just didn't think it would be like this," Odin said.

"I knew you were out there, as well.  I just hoped we wouldn't have to see each other again," Loki rejoined and Odin gave her a look.

"You hate me now also?" he posed.  Loki shook her head and looked down at Darian.

"I don't hate you.  I'm afraid of you.  I'm afraid what 'justice' you and others might seek for what I did in my previous life.  I'm afraid what might happen to my innocent child because he is my son.  There are plenty in Asgard who seek to take their reparations out on him.  And, I'm afraid what will happen when I go to Midgard," Loki answered.  

"Midgard?  You will return to Midgard?" Odin queried.

"Yes.  My husband is a member of the Avengers, and an agent of SHIELD.  His duties are there.  I will go wherever he wills me to," Loki responded firmly.  Darian laughed a little as he reached up and touched Loki's chin.  "Will you fight that?  Will you try to claim me as family or for punishment?"  Odin gave her a wan smile, leaned back in his seat and shook his head.

"Nay, Loki.  I will not.  I would fear your husband's arrow in my other eye," the All-Father said, his one eye traveling to Clint.  Hawkeye had shifted in his own seat, and was poised to spring into action.

"Make no mistake, sir, I would treat you with the same brutality I treated the last bastard who tried to harm Loki," Clint said.

"About that... I am curious," Odin said, turning to Clint.  "We all saw the bodies before they were disposed of.  What did that one fellow try to do?"  Loki shuddered and Clint put his arm around her.  

"He tried to rape her and probably kill Darian.  He basically scared Loki into labor," Clint answered.  Loki was looking down at Darian, and she was very quiet now.  Odin nodded as he steepled his fingers.

"Then you did well.  Rapists must be treated with the utmost savagery, as befitting their crime.  And, I am pleased that your babe was born unharmed and healthy," Odin said, glancing at Darian.  "He seems a really sweet lad."

"He's my boy," Clint said, gently ruffling Darian's black hair.  The baby yawned and rubbed his eyes with his little fists.  He glanced around after that and caught sight of Odin.  He gave Odin a bubbly smile and held out his hands.  Loki gasped and raised her eyes to look at the All-Father.

"May I?  It's been many years, but I remember how to hold a child," Odin said.  Loki looked to Clint and he gave her a little smile.  Finally, Loki stood up and carefully slid Darian into Odin's arms.  Darian seemed happy as he immediately started to twist Odin's beard in his fingers.

"No, darling.  You'll cut yourself," Loki said, taking Darian's hands and holding them away from Odin's white beard.  Darian did not seem to care and giggled and gurgled and squirmed.

"He's like you," Odin commented and both he and Loki looked at each other.  "You would not lay still for me.  Only Frigga."  Loki's eyes teared up a little and Odin smiled.  "I think you and I have an agreement, Loki Barton.  Since I know Thor will flood Asgard if anybody stands against you, you will have my protection as well.  If anyone tries to harm you, I will give you aid.  I believe, you will also have your mother as a shield as well."  

"Thank you, All-Father... Odin."

"So... can I hold him now?" Thor pleaded.

"Dude!  Have you seen yourself?  You're huge!  You'll crush him!" Clint exclaimed.

"I will not!  I'll be gentle and caring!" Thor said, defending himself.  

"You might want to flee while Thor's distracted," Odin whispered, handing Darian back to his mother.  Loki grinned at his plan, and slipped out of the tent while Clint and Thor continued to argue.