twenty-one - ready?

get set—

The third week of January.

The teaser pictures were already posted on New Years.

They were the talk of netizens, the hot topic.

For months, they practiced for the proposed day.

"Youngjae, are you sure you don't want a stage name?"

"Mhm," he nodded, fixing part of his brown dyed hair. "I just want to be known as myself."

"Hey." Jaebum whispered from behind him and pulled him out the dressing room, leading him to an empty hallway. Youngjae didn't have a chance to look at him close up until then; he looked breathtaking in a different way than usual, complete with light makeup and silver piercings all over his ears.

"Are you ready?" he asked, holding onto both of the younger's hands.

"I am, hyung," Youngjae replied sheepishly with a nod, swinging their arms slightly. Jaebum's gaze went from cheerful to serious all of a sudden, gripping tightly on the smaller hands.

"...What about your fear?" he asked in a lower voice. In his eyes sparkled a light of concern for the younger.

Youngjae paused, having to think about an honest answer to tell him. He stepped even closer to Jaebum, looking straight up at him. "I realized that there's a lot of things that keep my mind off of it, but I honestly... think that I won't be free from it."

A part of Jaebum's expectations dropped. "Why- Why is that?"

"Because," Youngjae started with a weak smile, "those memories are carved into my brain, and they're what causes it to begin with. But, hyung, I hope you know that you're the one who makes me forget about it. You're my savior, really."

He reached up an arm to pinch the elder's cheek, pouting. "Don't cry now, Jaebum-hyung. You have makeup on. I promise I'll tell you more later, okay?" Giving him a tight hug, Youngjae pulled him towards the room where the rest of the group was waiting. Jaebum sniffed his nose and wiped at his eyes.

Just as you ask, I won't cry now.

"Making out right before a performance? I can't believe you lovers," Jackson said with an exaggerated shake of his head after the two entered the room. Jaebum punched him lightly on the arm.

"I think you might've hurt Mark-hyung when you said that," Yugyeom pointed out, snickering at the older members. Blonde Jackson immediately went to Mark's side and made pouty faces with puppy eyes.

"Be at backstage in four minutes, everyone," someone wearing all black and with a mic attached to their shirt said, walking into the room and leaving immediately after. The members shrugged and gathered into a circle, each of them putting their arms around their shoulders.

"My best advice is to be natural and not worry about making mistakes," Jaebum, taking initiative as the leader said encouragingly. He took good looks of each and every person in that circle of hot breaths and occasional whooping. "Are you all ready?"

"No one has to pee?" Jinyoung asked, making the younger two snicker. "Is everyone hydrated?"

Everyone else nodded and Jaebum cleared his throat again.

"Team on three. One, two-"

"Team!"

The new and upcoming idols made their way backstage, stretching around their arms and legs. Months or even years of preparation would all pay off in a few minutes. Jaebum found his way besides Youngjae again and kept his arm around his shoulder.

"Remember, baby, I'll always be here," he whispered to his ear, releasing his shoulder soon after when needing to have a mic attached. Youngjae closed his eyes and breathed in and out slowly, keeping his calm and getting rid of butterflies in his stomach.

"Everyone, everyone, quick!" Jaebum called out again. The rest of the group hastily gathered again into a circle. It would be less than a minute until they would be called to the stage and perform for the first time ever as a whole group.

"We are a group and we will be one for as long as possible, no matter what happens. Got that?"

"Agreed."

"Got it!"

"Let's practice our greeting one more time."

Jaebum as well as the others made a certain symbol with their right hand. He glanced at everyone, nodded, and shouted.

"One, two, three.

Come and get it-"

"-Got7!"

(( if i was an idol who debuted i wouldve been able to write this accurately
and sorry this is kinda short ahHhagah

also guess what!!1

the next chapter will be the last ;,)