Chapter 12

Leah seemed off throughout the day and although she was happy and bubbly Harley could see something was bothering her little baby. And she was determined to find out what! She knocked on the door to J's office and opened it so she could talk to him. "Harley, why are you in my office? You know you aren't supposed to be in here." "I feel like something is wrong with our goldfish." J perked up at the mention of his little angel and put down his papers to pay attention. "Well what do you think is the problem?" He asked. "I think it's something to do with the berries. She seems so sad about us not having them, she said she used to eat them all the time." "Well, lets see if we can find any!" J and Harley spent hours looking for them and after searching through 80 pages on Google, they found a site that sold them! "I'm not sure J, it looks fake and shady." "Darling you forget that my middle names are fake and shady!" "I thought it was Darwin?" He rolled his eyes at Harley's cheesy joke before ordering some and paying extra for one day shipping.

*Later at dinner*

The clown family sat down eating their dinner as Harley chatted to J about business deals to be made later that week. Leah only picked at her food trying to push her distracting memories away so she could be happy in her NEW home with her NEW mom and dad. Her head perked up when she heard the door bell. Harley and J looked at each other slyly then looked back at their baby. "I wonder who that could be?" Harley said winking at J. "I don't know Harley I'm not expecting anybody, and I'm not expecting any packages either." He said winking back. "Starfish, why don't you go answer the door?". Leah got up and left, not understanding what they had planned for her. She opened the door to be greeted with a burley looking mail man holding a package. "Delivery for a Ms. Leah?" "That's me..". She took the package from him and she shut the door before turning around to be greeted by her parents. "So what is it?" "I'm not sure, I don't remember getting anything like this at the mall and I haven't asked for anything." "Why don't you open it?". J and Harley led Leah to the table and sat her down before watching her open her package. Leah tore open the paper and opened the box to be met with a familiar sight

 Leah tore open the paper and opened the box to be met with a familiar sight

She screamed and ran to hug and kiss both of her parents. "OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH!! HOW DID YOU FIND THESE?" "We spent hours looking to find them for you!" "We hopped it would cheer you up! You seemed so down today about us not having seaberries so we decided to try and find some!" Harley said while gesturing to the berries. Leah looked and realized why they got them and she decided that she needed to address something. "Hey I can be honest with you guys right?" "Of course you can goldfish!" "I.. wasn't sad about the berries.." "Oh for the love of God!" J shouted. Leah huffed before continuing. "I was upset.. because I.. I.. Ireallymisshomeandmymomanddad
andIgotseparatedfrommyfamilyandI'm
lostandIdon'tknowwhattodo!" J and Harley looked in confusion before Harley asked Leah to slow down. "Ok.." Leah took a deep breath. "A few years back, I was traveling with my pod and we were on our way to our normal resting rounds. We migrate because it gets cold up north, so we were traveling down to South America's waters when a huge storm hit! I got separated from them and wound up in the Gotham harbor." "Oh! Goldfish!" "That's not the worst part! We were in a fight while we were traveling and the last thing my parents had said to me was to leave the pod and find a new one where we were stopping! So if I went back I probably wouldn't be wanted!" "Oh my little goldfish that's horrible!" "Starfish why didn't you tell us this before!" "I don't know, I guess it was just still pretty painful to talk about until now." "Well you don't have to worry! You always have us! We're your pod now!" Harley said as she scooped Leah up in a big hug and ran to the couch for some family snuggle time. J went and grabbed some soft blankets and sat on the other side of Leah. "Why do they call it a pod?" J asked her. "Because we're mammals, like dolphins but we lay pearls, and the pearls hatch into baby mermaids a month later!" "Wow! I didn't know that!" Harley exclaimed. "Yeah nobody really knows about us and how we live," "will you tell us starfish?" "Absolutely!" And Leah spent the rest of the night explaining to her parents how pods worked and how mermaids farmed the bottom of the ocean, and how there was a great war of the seas between sirens and mermaids for the longest time. (Merfolk were still bitter about it). Harley and J listened to all of the stories and how the merpeople were present even in the dinosaur ages. How mermaids were voyagers and swam along the seas searching for islands to claim as theirs and grow their food and pods. How there were all kinds of mermaids from freshwater to saltwater and they were scattered all over the world in different pods. She spun these fishtails from her mouth until she soon fell asleep on the couch with J and Harley not far behind.